64 bit vs. 32 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akumajin

Baseband Member
I need Vista for DX10, and I eventually will probably want around 4GB of RAM (future comp.) Should I buy a 64 or 32 Vista? With the 64 I can get more RAM right, and most games/quality hardware has drivers for 64 bit right?

I'd get 64-bit... and yes, most newer hardware should have drivers.

The biggest complaint I hear is with older games...

That is not accurate. Windows 32 Bit, Linux 32Bit even OS X 32 Bit can not recognize 4GB of RAM. It will show as 3 or 3.5 at most. If you want 4GB of RAM you will have to get 64 Bit to use it.

Thanks.

Also, you said older games. How old are we talking here? Diablo original? World of Warcraft? Starcraft Broodwar?

I have run Starcraft and Warcraft 2 on my Vista install no problem.

jsut use Compatibility Mode, like what XP has... but Vista's lets you use it like on XP... thats what i did on my PC when it had Vista... but i went back to XP because my system is too garbage..

Most of the time if you run games in compatibility mode and as administrator they should work. Alot of recent programs even from the last few years wont work in vista 64bit but some of the bigger name companies and mor epopular games are being supported.

Thank you very much for the help so far.

A few more questions came up as I've been reading all over the internet and asking fellow computer-knowledgable people about 64 bit (sadly very few people know much about it, but 2 of my gamer friends say its 100% good).

1: What is compatibility/emulation mode? I read that you can emulate a 32 bit OS and run certain programs that normally wouldn't run, ala Bootcamp with a Mac. Does this take extra resources/does it require a reboot? How does it work exactly?

2: As far as parts go, do they have to say 64 bit compatible to work, or just have drivers available and they're good? I'm building a good gaming computer with quality parts, so I'm pretty much in the clear with 64 bit support, right? To make sure, all I need to do is check that drivers exist for my stuff.

3: Speaking of drivers, my co-worker said that Vista installs drivers quite well by itself when it installs, but then you should go get the better drivers for things such as Graphics Card and Sound Card. Would I need to get drivers for my network card and other things like, or would the default ones be fine?

4: As far as overclocking goes, it is easier/harder/different from 32 bit to 64 bit?

5: I read that 16-bit programs won't work. What is exactly considered a 16 bit program?

6: These are the programs that I'll be using for the most part. If anyone knows if any of these work on 64 bit Vista, please tell me so I don't have to check each individual one.
-uTorrent (or a good torrent program)
-All the Adobe stuff (Illustrator, Photoshop etc.) Does it need to be CS3 or is CS2 okay?
-Audacity
-Nero
-DivX Codec
-Blackberry Software
-Palm Software
-Lexmark x1185
-Zone Alarm
-Slickrun
-Rocket Dock
-Firefox and its extensions
-Foxit Reader
-Fraps
-HiJack This
-iPod Peripherals (iTunes, drivers)
-Nintendo WiFi USB Adapter Software/Driver
-PowerIso
-DAEMON Tools
-Logitech Setpoint
-Pidgin
-Real Alternative
-Media Player Classic
-Winamp
-Soulseek
-The Rosetta Stone
-Winrar

If anyone can answer any of these - much appreciated!

Bootcamp is just a boot manager. IT allows Mac users to install Vista or XP on their Mac and boot between either Windows or OS X. It isnt emulation at all.

Emulations is like using ZSNES to play SNES games on your PC. It emulates the SNES and allows for the games to work.

Compatability mode is what Vista does, and XP as well, to basically trick itself into thinking it is running as a different OS to make apps run better. I have soem games on XP that i have to use compatability mode for cause they are Windows 95 games. Same can be done with Vista. Use compatability mode to made it run like they were in XP. Creates less problems and allows the apps to run correctly.

That is number 1. Onto number 2.

You CPU has to be 64 Bit. that is the major part. The rest the major driver you will have to check for are sound and video.

#3.) Yes Vista is great when it comes to driver install. Most of the drivers installed on my Vista are straight from Creative and nVidia. That was thru Windows Update. So you should be able to get the latest drivers right from there.

#4.) Overclocking is the same with 32Bit/64Bit when done thru the BIOS.

#5.) A 16 Bit program is just that. It is a program that was written with only 16 Bit archatechture. ^$ Bit only sees 64 and 32. So apps that are for Windows 95 wouldnt work since they are 16 Bit program. Most apps now a days are 32 and some are 64 bit programs. But a few are still stuck at that 16 bit stage and have to move on. But most of those you can find a good substitute for.

#6)Windows Vista RTM Software Compatibility List - IeXwiki

That page can answer your question easily. It give you the full list of working and non working applications that work on Vista. I dont know how recent it was updated but that is the best way to find out if your apps are gonna work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom