Last minute questions before 1st build

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
Starting my first build this afternoon, but will probably take 2 days to get it all finished. So, a few questions before I get underway...

1 (might be obvious) - I have an antistatic wrist band. Where do I put the "plug" end? Does it just go into an empty screw hole to ground it?

2 - I'm using my current hard drive, but doing a clean install of XP Pro on 1st boot. I've backed up all of my data, so should I wipe the drive clean before installing it in the new pc? If so, what do you recommend to do this? Can I just reformat the drive (taking off the OS) and then just power off? FYI I currently have 3 partitions, if that makes any difference.

3 - Here's what I'm shooting for today. Everything I can install on the mobo before putting the mobo in the case will be done today. I'll install the mobo, then probably call it a day. Is it safe to just close up the case and leave everything as is, or do I need to take any other precautions to keep everything safe? possibly another stupid question, since it all sits in the pc when it's built anyway...

Thanks for your help! I realize these questions are probably more based on paranoia then logitimate concerns, but I'd like this 1st time to be as smooth as possible (insert jokes here).

First of all, I know that they recommend an anti-static wrist band, but in my many years of building PC's and repairing them I have never used one and never had a part fry on me. Just make sure that you don't generate too much static electricity while working with it, but that is really not a huge concern. Also you are going to want to completly wipe the harddrive clean. You are going to want to erase all partitions. This can be done several ways, but do you have a windows 98 floppy? When you post back, tell me if you do. For the last question, I wouldn't worry about it either. Once you secure the motherboard to the case you can call it a day if you would like. If there is any chance of anything being spilled on it or anything like that (lots of dog hair or something), then you may just want to make sure that everything is secure in the case and then just screw the side(s) back on. Nothing more needs to be done to the case. I usually just leave my cases open when I work on them and leave, but it is up to you. When installing the parts on the motherboard, use extra care when opening the processor and placing it on the motherboard. Also make sure to work on a completly level surface. And last reminder: don't get frustrated. Keep a level head and if you get upset, just put it down for a little bit and come back. Also go very slow and be gentle. Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply. Jonesie. Unfortunately, I have no Win98 disk/floppy. Just an XP disc, along with a 2K Pro disk. So what's my next best option?

In the setup of XP you should be able to delete partitions. If you don't delete the partition of the previous load you cannot have full access of the harddrives memory and you will have a dual boot which can lead to problems and can be an annoyance if you don't wish to have several loads.

"In the setup of XP"

By this do you mean running XP setup on the existing PC, or waiting to delete partitions once I get the drive in the new system and on first boot?

If you are going to use your old harddrive once you have the computer setup and are ready to install XP it will ask you if you want to create an old partition somewhere through the early part of the setup. You will need to delete the old partitions at this time.

To your 1st question. The wriststrap isn't necessary as Jonesie said, but if you want to use it, yes, plug it in to a screw hole so that it is grounded with the case. Note that your PS has to be plugged in for proper grounding. If you don't want to use it, touch the sink, which is grounded, with your hand. Do not stand on carpet when working as rubbing your feet will generate tremendous amount of static.
Your MOBO should have come in an antistatic bag, use this as a working base on a flat and stable surface. When handling your CPU and RAM, avoid touching connectors and pins, grab them by the edge.

Question 2. XP is a bootable CD. On your original boot, enter BIOS (by hitting delete) and set your boot priority so that it looks at your CD before the HDD. Then, follow the prompts to delete existing partitions and formatting your HDD. Very straight forward.

Question #3. Again as Jonesie said, if there is no danger of anybody fooling around with it, leave it as is. If not, put your cover on.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom