"Shoot Em Up" Catalyst drivers on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Source: DailyTech - ATI Promises Huge Performance Gains With Upcoming 7.10 Drivers

"Shoot Em Up" Catalyst drivers promise big performance gains for gamers

ATI notified DailyTech of the availability of a new beta driver for Windows Vista intended to improve the performance of ATI cards in single and CrossFire modes. The new driver is being called the Catalyst 7.10 “Shoot Em Up” driver by ATI.

The “Shoot Em Up” driver makes big promises of a 5-23% performance gain in Battlefield 2142 in Crossfire running ATI Radeon HD 2600, ATI Radeon HD 2400 and ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 series graphics cards.

ATI goes on to promise the drivers will improve performance in Call of Duty 2 up to 6.7% with single and dual HD 2600 and HD 2400 graphics cards, Call of Juarez DirectX 10 performance is said to improve up to 42% in Crossfire and there will be up to a 34% improvement in single card performance on all HD 2000 series products.

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Crossfire performance is claimed to improve by as much as 23% on all Radeon 1000 products, HD 2000 and HD 1000 series products. ATI promises to increase performance in FEAR with Crossfire on the X1950 XTX, X1650 XT, HD 2400, and X1300/X1350 video cards by 16%.

Finally, ATI says Supreme Commander performance in Crossfire mode improves by 30% on all HD 2000 and Radeon 1000 cards. Supreme Commander with the X1650, X1300, and X1550 video cards using the “Shoot Em Up” drivers promises to increase performance up to a whopping 82%. The Vista driver download file is called 7-10-NO-WHQL_Vista32-64_53254.exe and is a 66MB file. ATI declined to comment on when the drivers would be publicly available.

Wow that is some serious improvement they are promising there. Alot of it is Crossfire but still ATI seems like they are really getting their act together with those drivers. I'm interested to see some ATI v. NVidia comparisons after this driver is released.

From what I've read, ATI is coming out with some nice stuff. Besides the new drivers and cards, their new chipset (790FX) is said to only use 8W of power and be passively cooled. The die shrink on the R600 shaved 100W off its consumption.

Couple all of this together with AMD's new chips, or the ones coming out, and the overal power consumption really drops. Less Power = less heat. ;)

Downloaded the drivers and 3dmark came out very close to what it was before... I didn't really notice any changes. BioShock seems to run a little faster, but I was running it at max settings anyway before hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom