how do I get win2000 service packs to a comp not hooked up to the net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
I am reformating my friends HD and installing win 2000 (she had win 98). How can I get the service packs and updates without it being hooked to the internet? I have the internet connection on my computer to do the actual download but can I burn it to a disk and then install it on her computer?

Yes you can burn it to a disk, and I also believe there is a way to get the updates on a disk strait from microsoft. I wish I knew more about the disks from microsoft, but I've only heard about it. If I can find anything else out for you, I'll let you know. I would try burning it on a disk for now though.

I have a special disk that contains all the major updates of Windown 98, ME, 2000, and XP, but it is not going to do you any good. For this situation I would suggest that you download all the updates that you need to and then put them on a disk. Why can't she download them herself?

First, she has a stinking dial up connection and that takes just way too long to do a complete update from the win 2000 professional disk that I have.

Second, when I went to microsoft to look for a way to download the updates it just want to do a scan of my computer.

what that page does is downloads a small file then when its run it initiates a scan of this computer and begins installing on this computer that I'm using to download it from. thanks though...

problem with that is she doesn't have an ethernet card.....although i suppose i could use her usb.....if it even has usb on it.....we'll see.

all you do is goto microsoft.com site, click (left side under resources) windows updates, itll take you to the scan part. Yeah, I know its for another computer, let it finish or whatever. When its done at the upper right is All products, choose downloads there (Dont click all products, it uses onmouseover() so choose the list for "downloads" there). At search for download just choose the o/s and then click search. Now instead of open from location just save to disk. That'll allow you to download pretty much whatever you want if you know what to look for. May want to look at creating a streamlined installation cd for her to make it easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom