Help with Intel CPU's

Status
Not open for further replies.

blucube

In Runtime
I feel like this deserved a new thread. Theres been an issue with my current builds processor. It's greatly confused me because I've head several different directions with it, and I've lost my way so to speak.

First, I was going with Intel's Duo Cores E6600's... but then I had a user come along and tell me I was wasting my time... get Intel's Duo Cores E6750... then wait for the Q9900's... then after that it seems like someone told me to not spend that much on the Proc, drop it to the E2180, the wait for the Q9900's... now I hear the Q9900's aren't that great, to not waste my time with any of the above... get the Q6600, then wait for Intel's Nehalem 32nm Proc...

Any thoughts? or Guidance?

(also, do thermaltake cases really suck? lol... I always heard they were pretty good! I like the way they look too......)

Screw that, get a Q6600 g0 stepping, a big air cooler and clock it to 3.6. Theres no reason to wait for the penryns. The improvement over the q6600 will be minimal unless you are using programs that use sse4. IF and i do mean IF you need more than the q6600 when the nehalem launches upgrade then.

Screw that, get a Q6600 g0 stepping, a big air cooler and clock it to 3.6. Theres no reason to wait for the penryns. The improvement over the q6600 will be minimal unless you are using programs that use sse4. IF and i do mean IF you need more than the q6600 when the nehalem launches upgrade then.

If I go with that, will the tuniq tower be a good enough heatsink to provide for the overclock? also... since I plan OC'ing, I was looking into a ATX full case... right now thermaltake shark, or the thermaltake armor... yet popular, sounds like the armor may have some alignment issues... though cheaper then the shark... I think the shark looks better but... didn't know if there was better options, for something other than the way they look so to speak...

--edit
also we're talking the $200 version of Q6600, not the $500 right?

I completely agree veedubfreak.

The new 45nm aren't going to pwn the current Q6600. The Q6600 will last you a very long time.

I would suggest the E2180, if you don't feel like spending much on the processor, as it's a great bang for your buck processor, especially when you overclock it.

blucube said:
If I go with that, will the tuniq tower be a good enough heatsink to provide for the overclock? also... since I plan OC'ing, I was looking into a ATX full case... right now thermaltake shark, or the thermaltake armor... yet popular, sounds like the armor may have some alignment issues... though cheaper then the shark... I think the shark looks better but... didn't know if there was better options, for something other than the way they look so to speak...

--edit
also we're talking the $200 version of Q6600, not the $500 right?

Yes, the Q6600 is the sub $300 version. The $500 range is the Q6700.

The Tuniq is usually recommended for a quad core, as it's well suited for overclocking one.

I dont know much about the thermaltake cases. I looked at the armor but ended up going with the antec 900 just because its basically the best air cooling you can get right now. And depending on the price of the tuniq tower it might behoove you to spend a bit more and get a TRUE for maximum OC'ing.

I guess if the tuniq is good for the Q6600's... I guess the last thing I need to do is find the right case, like I said I liked Thermaltakes Shark, if not shark then Armor... but reviews make it rough to decide if thats the right thing to do or not....

any guidance on that as well???

Cases are personal preference really... thats up to you... but the Tuniq Tower 120 is what we recommend to the quad-core users and overclockers that or the TRUE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom