2900PRO + Thermaltake TR2 PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Hi there guys. I've decided on getting a 2900PRO to replace my x1950gt. I'm hoping that my current power supply will be enough to get me by until I replace it with a Corsair 520HX. Here's a link to the specs:

Pure Power TR2 430W Power Supply-W0069/70

I know that ATI cards, specifically the 2900s are very power hungry, so I'm a bit worried. What do you think? Would underclocking it reduce power consumption?

It looks very slim, as that power supply only has 18A. If it had 28A or so, then it'd be more safe. Maybe it might work, if you underclock your CPU and GPU, or just keep the CPU stock. Or enable C1E and EIST to throttle down the CPU when it's not in use.

Get that Corsair 520HX, as soon as you can.

If it was me in this situation, I would wait until I have enough for both the 520HX and 2900Pro. You can save money by getting the Corsair 550VX instead. Great power supply for the money.

Thats a really weak power supply for the 2900. Now if it was a gts 320 you might be able to get away with it. But doesnt the 2900 pro require like 25+ amps on a 500+ psu?

It looks very slim, as that power supply only has 18A. If it had 28A or so, then it'd be more safe. Maybe it might work, if you underclock your CPU and GPU, or just keep the CPU stock. Or enable C1E and EIST to throttle down the CPU when it's not in use.

Get that Corsair 520HX, as soon as you can.

If it was me in this situation, I would wait until I have enough for both the 520HX and 2900Pro. You can save money by getting the Corsair 550VX instead. Great power supply for the money.

Thanks for the responses. The difference between the 520HX and the 550VX is $10 here in Canada, and I like the idea of modular power supplies, even though some people claim it makes more points of potential failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom