Need help picking cooling and PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcanup

Solid State Member
Help me with this case cooling...(new)

After reading over all your ideas I have decided not to make this computer such an over kill, so I have some new parts listed below with questions.

Questions
1) Cooling
a) Should I use fan or water cooling?
b) Should I use cooling on my RAM and/or GPU?
c) Should I replace the 3 120mm fans that come with my case with better ones?​

2) PSU
a) How big of a PSU should I buy (watts)?​

3) MISC.
a) Am I forgetting some part that I will need to buy?
b) Will those monitor do good with my Graphics card?
c) If not what monitor would work well?​

MOBO
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
$130

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
$280

RAM
GeIL Esoteria Series 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
$255

GPU
MSI NX8800GTX-T2D768E-HD OC GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
$510

CASE
Antec Performance One P180 Silver cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$130

HDD
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKB 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
$110

MONITOR
Acer X191Wsd Silver-Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1
$160x2= $320

Total Cost so far
$1625

Optional
For an extra $100 I could get this RAM would that be worth it?
CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

NOTES:
1) I will be using my 80GB Seagate 7200rmp HDD as the master and the new one as slave.

2) I will be using my Dual-layer DVD/RW CD/RW combo drive.

3) I will be using my Mouse and Keyboard I have now.

4) I use my computer for 3D graphic design (hobby) and playing MMORPGs. I also multi-task all the time. When doing 3d design I am watching a movie, using MS word (for notes), Maya, and Photoshop.

the case doesnt appear to have a power supply unit. thats pretty important.

yes I know that it does not Have a Power Supply Unit that is why I asked question number two...

2) What would be a good PSU for me to get that will run all my parts and have a little left over in case I want to add small parts latter?

Wow thats some crazy expensive memory. Why are you doing 8600's in SLI for the a bit more you can get a GTX that will smoke 8600's in sli and you wont have the driver issues that come along with SLI.

Wow thats some crazy expensive memory. Why are you doing 8600's in SLI for the a bit more you can get a GTX that will smoke 8600's in sli and you wont have the driver issues that come along with SLI.

If you looked at my top post I added an option for new parts using the single gfx card idea. What do you think about that?

I am wanting 8gb of RAM, what do you think I should buy?

What do you plan to do with this machine? hah 8gb of RAM is rediculous not worth it no matter what your doing, your OS wont even recognize it all honestly unless you are doing some SUPER labor heavy multi-tasking I would stick with 2gb of Crucial Ballistix and drop the 2 8600's for a GTX

with that being said get a P35 Gigabyte or Asus deluxe

also you should get an aftermarket heatsink My Personal Fave is the Tuniq Tower 120

2gb or 4gb is more than enough. But 8gb is overkill. Yeah you should drop the 2 8600's and get a gtx. Maybe even a 8800gts will beat the two 8600's in sli.

I'm running 4gb of ram right now and most likely going to pull 2 gb to use in my htpc because atm have never gone past 1.5gb of actual usage. 8gb of memory is way too much, by the time you actually need that much memory you will likely have upgraded to a new board that supports ddr3.

yeah for sure get gskill 2gb hz's, and a ultra even screw sli 8600gt not worth it more power less performance u be the judge.

theres no way an dual 8600gt's with 8gb of RAM beats 4 or 2gb of ram with 1 8800GTX, even if that thing was a workstation... thats a lot of RAM....

so ditch the SLi and get the p35-ds3r

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom