Crappy Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakaggo

Idealist Gamer
So I have a terrible Dell computer with a terrible Dell motherboard. My biggest problem is a lack of AGP or PCI-E slot.

I REALLY need some help with this. I'll try and give as much info as possible. As far as a budget I may be able to get $100-200.

First off I have a Geforce FX5500 laying around with 256MB of onboard ram. AGP 8X/4X DDR. I would like to use this as its much cheaper than buying a new one.

Now if I get a new motherboard then it needs to be compatible with my processor right? I have a Pentium 4, runs at 3.00GHz.

My ram is 2 256mb DDR cards so I'll probably have to get some new ones. 80GB hard-drive.

So if I were to get a new Motherboard good enough to run that memory card and capable of using that processor then how much would it cost me including everything?

Let me know if I need any additional info.

List what the actual machine is so we can see the actual specs. Basically you need a motherboard with agp that can use a pentium 4 and what i assume is plain old ddr memory?

Thanks. Well you won't find one that any good that uses regular DDR ram so I'm willing to buy new ram. I would like at least one PCI-E slot for future upgrades.

Well the specs are so complicated x_x. I ran Belarc Advisor so I'll say what it gave me.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 3000
Chassis Serial Number: 3XTYS51
Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower

Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0N6381
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz

c: (on drive 0) 76.99 GB 6.15 GB free

510 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_1' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM_2' has 256 MB

Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adapter]
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 [Display adapter]

Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
----------------------------------------------------------

Thats all of the information I have from that. I believe I need to know some other things though. I deal with computers often enough but I'm kind of hardware noob. I mean I've opened it up to install ram and a video card but I've never done something like this.

On that subject is there a place where I could get this kind of thing done for me? Would they charge me too much?

I appreciate any help I can get.

Edit: I feel like an idiot for not knowing this but how connected is a processor to a mother board? Is it like plugged in like some other components or would I have to get a new processor (or do some extremely careful computer surgery)?

Replacing a motherboard

Aw it seems like no one wants to help me v_v. I know I'm a newb but how long could it possibly take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom