What Do You Think Of This Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamloco724

In Runtime
what do you think of this laptop this is for my dad he is an accountant so its business oriented.its a dell vostro 1500 here are the specs for the one i built

PROCESSOR:Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)

OPERATING SYSTEM:Genuine Windows® XP Home

LCD PANEL:15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLifeâ„¢

MEMORY:2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM

HARD DRIVE:120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

OPTICAL DRIVE:8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability, w/ Roxio Creator

VIDEO CARD:256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M GT

WI-FI WIRELESS CARD:Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card

BATTERIES:56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

SOUND OPTION:High Definition Audio 2.0

Looks like more of a gaming notebook. But regardless, that notebook can do anything, he wishes to.

PROCESSOR:Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
Excellent.

OPERATING SYSTEM:Genuine Windows® XP Home
Good. (XP Professional or Vista Business might be better in a business environment).

LCD PANEL:15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLifeâ„¢
Good. You might want to consider WSXGA or at least a WXGA+ for a finer resolution. But that all depends on personal preference. I have a WXGA screen and I sort of wish I had a bit more. Also, TrueLife (glossy) might not be appropriate in an office or outdoor environment where there's a lot of light, as it can reflect and be distracting. The benefit is darker darks and crisper colors, which might not be so important as an accountant.

MEMORY:2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
Good. But dell charges $150 for this. You can find 2GB of RAM at half that cost after-market.

HARD DRIVE:120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Good.

OPTICAL DRIVE:8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability, w/ Roxio Creator
Good.

VIDEO CARD:256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M GT
Excellent, but does an accountant need dedicated graphics? Or 8600M GT at that? You should also remember battery life will be lower with a dedicated card. You might want to consider X3100 Intel integrated graphics instead.

WI-FI WIRELESS CARD:Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card
Good, but you might want to consider n and bluetooth as well, depending on his requirements.

BATTERIES:56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Good. Might want to consider a second, 9 cell, depending on how mobile he is.

SOUND OPTION:High Definition Audio 2.0
Fair. Vostros have average laptop speakers, nothing special.

A couple other suggestions. If he's always on the go, he might want to consider getting a 14" model. I own a 15.4" and I find it just a tad bit on the bulky side for daily mobility. I also have a 14.1", and I find this the perfect size.

Vostros are a bit bulky and heavy, so I would err on the conservative side and opt for a smaller model. You should be able to find the same basic options (minus 256MB 8600M GT, but they do have 128MB 8400M GS).

He'll probably want XP Pro for the business environment. Most of the computers at his office (if he uses one) are likely set up with that os in mind.

Also, the dedicated graphics are a total waste if he's not gaming. There's no point and it'll hurt his battery life. On that note, you may consider a larger battery.

Lastly, the C2D is very fast, he can probably make due with a cheaper one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom