Defragmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggiaquin

Solid State Member
well i have been trying to run the defrag on my computer for a very long time now (talking months) and every time i do it says operation cant be done please run /chkdsk f. i go to the run app and do run /chkdsk f and it brings up a comand window and says that the volume is being used and if i want to run it next time the computer starts up. i said yes in hte past and restart only to find myself back where i started at before i rebooted. i say no and i still get the same message (not rebooting this time). What can i do?

If you are running XP and have the installation cd onhand you simply boot from that to the recovery console and type chkdsk /r at the command prompt there. As the first blue screen with options appears you press R for repair at the recovery console. That will see the check disk tool started manually there.

The task is easy enough there. But you can look over the page on using the check disk tool at How to run a disk check in Windows XP The screen shots for this are seen at the bottom of the page there.

what is O and D and where can i get it? btw for anyone that replies i dont have the install cd its back in my house im actually in a dorm room on a lap top

google it :)

but why not get the CD the "other" way and use your Product Key....

He means to download a copy of your OS's CD. I believe it's legal as long as you have a legal product key. Or you can contact the PC's manufacturer for one, or I believe you can contact Microsoft for a disc, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom