New computer getting slower...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyf

Daemon Poster
Right, so I built the computer below about.. oo... a month ago, or so. Everything I ran on it worked at max settings without any slow down, so I haven't bothered overclocking yet (or found a free afternoon in which to do so!).

So I have been playing Oblivion, and originally, there was no noticeable 'slide show' effect- smooth framerate.

Over time, I perceived the framerate to be getting lower, but thought nothing of it. I tried starting a new game now and I'm almost positive that there has definitely been some slow down. The frame rate at times can come down to the unbearable level.

Now I was thinking that I may as well overclock everything, and see how I go, and/or run at lower settings, which is fine, I'd just like to know why things are getting slower! Any ideas?

Computer:
Motherboard: Asus P5K deluxe Wifi AP
CPU: Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad SLACR (G0) Stock
HSF: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme/ Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm/ Arctic MX-2
RAM: 2Gb (2x1Gb) Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800Mhz (PC2 6400) Stock
GPU: eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 320Mb Stock
PSU: Corsair HX520W
HD: 1xSeagate Barracuda 500Gb 7200.10
Optical: Sony/NEC AD7170S (SATA) DVD RW
Case: Antec nine hundred
Extras: Floppy, Zalman ZM-MFC2 Fan controller

Adware, Fragmented hard drive, Spyware, viruses, trojans. All appear on PCs over time. Time for a good cleaning.

Right you are. No spyware etc., a good defrag did a certain amount, but surely slow down shouldn't be a problem at all (only running at 1280x1024)? Temps are all ultra cool, and there really hasn't been time for dust build up.

On the otherhand, I never went to great effort to kill useless processes. Maybe I'll have a go at that later.

Right you are. No spyware etc., a good defrag did a certain amount, but surely slow down shouldn't be a problem at all (only running at 1280x1024)? Temps are all ultra cool, and there really hasn't been time for dust build up.

On the otherhand, I never went to great effort to kill useless processes. Maybe I'll have a go at that later.

Start with msconfig and the old alt+ctrl+del task manager. If you have a scroll bar in your tasl manager, your almost certainly running stuff you don't need too in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom