help on choosing video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
do Crossfire 2900PROs beat out a 8800GTX? AND if they do...is it by a wide margin? Won't that limit upgradibility in the future? (for instance, instead of buying an extra GTX ill hav to scratch both 2900s and get a new card)

Also, (completely off topic) I am wondering how ASUS mobos are and what is a good one i could get (from ASUS)?

ATI are still working out driver kinks..but yes 2900Pros in crossfire will in general beat a 8800GTX...especially at the resolution you are playing.

However, you're right about having to resell both cards to upgrade...and not all games are Crossfire optimized or support crossfire.

Personally, I prefer single GPU solutions as they are more efficient in just about every way you can think...but for raw power at higher resolutions they certainly have their place. An overclocked 8800GTX would do just fine....then when something better comes out resell it and buy something new!

As for Asus mobos, in general they are great...I recommend the P5K Deluxe

i have a 8800gtx and I was a bit not happy, first off i got about 90 or more fps with everything maxed in HL2 episodes. The processor I used was a 6600 dual core. It used like 70 percent of the processor, I wonder why people will buy those extreme edition processors for the same cost as a 8800 ultra and 6600 quad core........
I'm getting rid of my 8800gtx cause when using lcd monitors anything over 4x antialiasing you really do not notice.

I think these are the best bet below, If a game can play at least 30fps with everything on high quality anything more is wasting money like i did.

8800GTS 640MB
ATI HD 2900 XT 512MB

i have a 8800gtx and I was a bit not happy, first off i got about 90 or more fps with everything maxed in HL2 episodes. The processor I used was a 6600 dual core. It used like 70 percent of the processor, I wonder why people will buy those extreme edition processors for the same cost as a 8800 ultra and 6600 quad core........
I'm getting rid of my 8800gtx cause when using lcd monitors anything over 4x antialiasing you really do not notice.

I think these are the best bet below, If a game can play at least 30fps with everything on high quality anything more is wasting money like i did.

8800GTS 640MB
ATI HD 2900 XT 512MB

It really depends what games you are playing. I can't max out World in Conflict with 4x antialiasing and still have it smooth. Sure im only using the 320mb version, but the newer games are getting more demanding.

If you can afford it, just get a GTX, nothing more is needed and its the most efficient solution from all perspectives...

I have another thread going on this topic in the hot deal section. right now you can get a foxconn gtx for 469 after rebate from teh egg, or get an evga ultra for 559 no rebates.

If yer looking at ultra, microcenter has the evga model on sale for 559 and depending on where you live you may not have to pay tax on it. Also it is on sale without rebates. So far out of the 6 rebates i have mailed off on my new machine i have gotten 1 back.

its not like i can afford to get a new card every year. Thats y im looking at such high-level cards. I want it to be able to last me awhile.

2-3 years!!! :eek:

I guess I'm picky because the longest I've ever had a card was my 7900GT for 1 year and I wanted to sell it ages ago.

get an 8800ultra... or the Crossfire 2900pro's and flash them to XT's but you need a compatible chipset tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom