Crossfire 2900xt vs 8800ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm, i doubt about the difference between 768mb and 1gb of dedicated memory would make a difference. If money was no objective than 2 8800 ultra will rip the crossfire apart. Just buy a single 8800 ultra and wait and buy another one for a future boost. Or save your money and buy just 1 2900xt and use extra money on something better.

I think a lot of people are missing the question here. He asked if crossfire 2900s is better than SINGLE ultra. Right now the cheapest ultra on the market is 559, while IF you can get a 2900 pro, they are about 300 bucks. So dollar for dollar the set up is going to be about even. I'm wondering the same thing myself as i run a 24" monitor at 1920x1200 and so far the gts 320 is holding its own, but i'm starting to think im going to need more once crysis comes out to keep up with the resolution.

Heh also as to heat production, thats why its nice to live in cold weather climates where opening the patio door and a window is enough air conditioning to cool off an overclocked video card and quad core :p

I'm gonna say two XT's why? because last time i checked... the XT had the lead for 3dmark06... plus Crossfire scaled two cards better than SLi

theres a post on it....

Crossfire HD 2900 XT vs. 8800 Ultra :: TweakTown

the Ultra's aren't SLi'ed tho..

the R600 has always had the lead in 3dmark06 scores...doesn't necessarily mean gaming performance is better though. Same deal with crossfire and sli...3dmark06 loves dual gpu setups but many games don't like 2 cards at all.

I just read the entire article and they tested it on pretty much every high GPU intensive game out right now and the crossfire was better at higher resolutions than the ultra. There was maybe a 50% increase from using crossfire instead of a single 2900 but crossfire did in fact show better gains at higher res than the ultra. I think i might end up going the crossfire route instead of the ultra. The only drawback is the power consumption.

the R600 has always had the lead in 3dmark06 scores...doesn't necessarily mean gaming performance is better though. Same deal with crossfire and sli...3dmark06 loves dual gpu setups but many games don't like 2 cards at all.

but the card did well in the games too... but the 8800ultra is the best bet then... don't people use google? i got that article as my first result...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom