XP x32 vs. XP x64 vs. Vista..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcanup

Solid State Member
I am in the process of doing research into computer parts to build a overclocked powerhouse computer with a 1500USD. One thing that I am really lost on is what OS I should get. I plan on building the computer in 3 stages...

Stage One
-CPU
-PSU
-MOBO
-GFX Card x1
-RAM 4GB
(will use my two 80GB hard drives for now)

Stage Two
-GFX Card x1
-RAM 4GB
-LCD Flatpanel Monitor x1

Stage Three
-LCD Flatpanel Monitor x1
-Hard Drive 500GB'ish (replace my 80GB slave with this)
-Physics Card (maybe still researching this one)

Right now I have a really low end computer that I watch movies on when I am using my main computer, for either making 3D graphics or playing MMORPGs or RPGs. I know that I really do not need at big a computer as I am building but I have the money so why not...

My quiestion comes in what OS would do me best. From what the information that I have read I will make a small table that gives the advantages of different OS. Can you please tell me if I am leaving something out.

Windows XP x32
-OS uses less RAM
-Can support up to 3GB RAM
-Easy to find drivers for
-Most programs are x32 based code
-Supports SLI

Windows XP x64
-OS does not use lots of RAM
-Can support more than 3GB of RAM
-Harder to find drivers than XP x32
-Most programs at this time can take advantage of x64 but a few can
-Supports SLI
? Can you still run 32 bit programs on this OS?

Windows Vista
*I do not really understand Vista to much I have never really played with it yet. If anyone knows a really good link that will help me understand the advantages to this over XP please post the links.
-Vista uses over 600MB RAM just sitting there.
-Hardest to get drivers for
-Does not support SLI
? Can it run both 32 and 64 bit programs?

If you can help with either links or advice on what information I do not know or am missing and the advantages/disadvantages that would be great. I am finding that picking the right OS is much harder than picking the best Hardware parts for my money.

Hey dcanup
Welcome-to-TF.png

Vista does support SLI, it can run both 32-bit and 64-bit programs, but not at the same time. That is why there is a 32-bit and 64-bit version. It's not as hard to find drivers for Vista, as it was before.

The only reason to go Vista, is if you're looking to play future games in DX10 mode. Other than that, it's just unnecessary eye candy.

And you're into graphics design, correct? I've heard that Vista doesn't do good in that area, so XP is the one to go for.

Which version? You're looking to get 4GB of RAM, and you're into designing and making 3D graphics, so XP 64-bit is your best bet.

With XP x64, every single program I get I have to get the x64 version of right? All games, utility programs, graphics programs, all of them... Would it be best if I just did a duel XP boot for x32 and x64? That way I can pick and choose what programs I would want to upgrade to x64?

As far as DX10 I do not really know what the plans for MMORPG games is right now. I have not even looked into anything about DX10 yet...I might should thing about getting around to that before to much longer. Anyway the only games I really injoy are mmorpgs and Oblivion and mmorpgs at this point do not really use graphics like FPS games do. So I do not really think right now it would be worth getting Vista for extra eye candy. If I want eye candy I would just get a program like Windowblinds and make my own, since I do graphics anyway...

Dual boot is a nice idea, if you have trouble finding 64-bit drivers, for your software and hardware.

just to clarify this is wrong vista uses 20% of your overall ram capacity to preload programs it actually uses ram more efficiently then xp

(SOLVED) Re: XP x32 vs. XP x64 vs. Vista..

just to clarify this is wrong vista uses 20% of your overall ram capacity to preload programs it actually uses ram more efficiently then xp

I was as Frys about a week ago looking at the laptops, every one had 1-3gb of RAM and was using over 600MB. It must just be the way that they have some of their settings set.

Anyway thanks for the information people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom