Help with my machine! (Graphic designer).

Status
Not open for further replies.

CixXy

Beta member
I'm a graphic designer who multitasks a lot (i.e open photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, bridge) at the same time... and later on i will be doing some 3D rendering work. I also play games on my spare time. Need to upgrade my hunk of junk! 1400mhz 256mb <-- 7 year old comp.

Got enough money to buy a computer on the weekend! But I'm just stuck at what motherboard to buy... any tips please?

I think i will get these:

Q6600 CPU
640MB 8800 GTS
500GB 7200rpm
3x1GB Corsair 667mhz

Okay well, I was wondering should I get the P5k asus or the P5k-E or the GA-P35. Now I have heard the P5k-E can overclock better but i will have to blow another AU$70.

I will have standard cooling in my computer though, so I think I would only go to about 2.6ghz anyway on the q6600 right?
Another thing, should I stay with 640MB 8800 GTS or go with 320MB 8800 GTS? OR blow another AU$100 or so for a GTX?

Also , a store clerk recommended the BFG nForce mobos , I wonder if these are good?

Thanks for any good advice.

Go for the Gigabyte P35, make sure this is the Harddrive you're getting (it's the fastest 500GB I know of) Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM . Get this CPU cooler, Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail and you an overclock your Q6600 easily to 3.0ghz which will help you a lot when you're going to do 3d rendering. Since you're doing design work, you should get at least a 22" monitor, but this 24" is on sale and is definitely a good buy, I would highly recommend it if you're willing to spend a little more : Newegg.com - Westinghouse L2410NM Glossy Black 24" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 500 cd/m2 1000:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

If you want to do 3D work, go with an Nvidia Quadro series card. I would go with the ga-p35.

You also want to get 2x1GB + 2x512MB so you can run your memory in dual channel.

turtile, he plays games in his spare time, and obviously those cards cant do video games. Also they're mega expensive

Im an architecture student/3d artist so i know where you are coming from...

My current setup is exactly what i need - it has the brute horsepower for rendering with the quad and the gts, and the 4gb is one of the best choices i have ever made (although you will need a 64bit OS for that). The great thing about having this much ram is that things like photoshop runs soooo smoothly even with alot of large files open.

My gpu is, suprisingly, the weakest link but still able to play pretty much any game on high settings (does slow down in world of conflict sometimes). But it is a great balance between work and gaming.

So i say go for the DS3R - and dont worry about overclocking, i am on 3.3ghz with stock air and its the older G0 stepping. If you have enough left over put it toward 4gb of 800mhz ram.

Im an architecture student/3d artist so i know where you are coming from...

My current setup is exactly what i need - it has the brute horsepower for rendering with the quad and the gts, and the 4gb is one of the best choices i have ever made (although you will need a 64bit OS for that). The great thing about having this much ram is that things like photoshop runs soooo smoothly even with alot of large files open.

My gpu is, suprisingly, the weakest link but still able to play pretty much any game on high settings (does slow down in world of conflict sometimes). But it is a great balance between work and gaming.

So i say go for the DS3R - and dont worry about overclocking, i am on 3.3ghz with stock air and its the older G0 stepping. If you have enough left over put it toward 4gb of 800mhz ram.

meat helmets build is perfect... just save some cash by going with a p35-ds3l or the Abit IP35-e

thank you all so much... very helpful feedback.

my monitor is 20" viewsonic yeah you guys are right i might need a bigger one for graphic design

i went with the GTX after seeing meat's reply

my whole setup now:

P35C-DS3R Mobo <-- the store didnt have the normal P35 but the better one instead in stock so i just went with it
Q6600 g0 stepping
ASUS 8800 GTX
Seagate 7200rpm 16mb cache 500GB
4x1GB 667mhz Corsair <--- cant afford 800mhz im afraid, meat.

The store didnt have that Arctic Cooling fan, but I might order it later, austin. So right now i wont try OC to 3ghz lol

Just wondering,...
Why do i need a 64bit OS for 4GB of memory? I'm quite afraid of vista so I was going to self install my copy of XP instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom