What do you guys think of this? (Kinda long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalOwns

In Runtime
I'm in a marketing and management class in my school. It's a relatively small group (about 12 people) and we all have a group project to do called "Selling Martin Luther". Basically, we have to create a powerpoint that shows aspects of the school and why an 7th or 8th grade student would want to go there for their next year of school. That's cool, I have no problem with that at all.

However, after we finish this powerpoint, we have to go to a bunch of different schools, and actually present this. That is where my problem with it starts....I don't think its right. It is not the student's job to try to convince new students to go to the school - it's the administration's. And I feel that my class and I are being taken advantage of, as well as the course and what is being taught in it. The course is centered around business and product marketing, and I also think that trying to advertise a school is kind of pushing too far away from the topic of the course. I know that last year's marketing class went next door to the Bowling Congress and presented ideas on how to advertise bowling. That I would not have a problem doing, because it is a legitimate business, and the school does not gain anything from us doing that.

I think that you should have to work for what you get, and the administration at the school should have to work for new students - not send out current students to do their job.

Besides, it just a waste of time...of ours and of the 7th and 8th grade students. They won't pay attention to what we have to say...I was in 8th grade once and I know that I never really paid attention to stuff like that.

Do you guys think I'm right here, or am I just being too stubborn or whatever?

My suggestion: Approach the professor/teacher and lay out your justification for NOT wanting to do this project. Give specific reasons for your objections.

You'll need to be logical meaning no stuff like "this sucks" or "it's stupid".

Finally, you should have an idea for a new presentation on and be prepared to comprimise.

if it was me, I would just go with what you have. You've invested the time to put the presentation together, now do what you gotta do and move on.

View it as a challenge. I would have loved to have this as an assignment... but I always was, and still am, very loyal of my alma mater. I just live over the ridge from my old high school, so I can hear the football games and the marching band on Friday nights.

Actually, I was in something similar to this. I was part of an ensemble in band that went to the various elementary schools to show what the different instruments were, how they sounded, and to drum up interest in the band. this was in the early eighties, so I played the Star Wars theme on my trombone for the kids. They loved it.

My suggestion: Approach the professor/teacher and lay out your justification for NOT wanting to do this project. Give specific reasons for your objections.

I don't have a problem with the project persay, just what we've been told we have to do with the presentation part of it...I just don't feel that we as students should have to do it. I think we also have to present this to the principal/vice principal as well, and I don't have a problem presenting it to them. But having us go out and do it, I dunno, just doesn't seem right to me. I mean if we presented it to them (principal and VP) and then they used it at schools, I wouldn't have a problem with that either.

And there was another project that last years class did, the bowling congess thing I mentioned. I think it's a little late to change the project now though, since the semester is about 1/3 the way over.

I'm thinking about going and talking to the principal, since he's the one who OK'd this whole idea and talking to him about it. And yeah I wouldn't say it sucks or anything like that.

I'm not the only one who think this either. I know a few other people in the class who don't like the idea so much, and a lot of the people outside of the class I mentioned this to think the idea is BS as well.

sounds to me you just don't want to do it so you're coming up with excuses why you shouldn't have to. like it or not, they're your teachers and you have to do the assignment. you could be doing A LOT harder things than that, so be thankful.

sounds to me you just don't want to do it so you're coming up with excuses why you shouldn't have to.

I've said about 3 times now that I don't care about the assignment...just what we have to do WITH the project once its finished. The powerpoint is almost done now, so seems to me that the project is almost over as well. And your right, I don't want to go and present it because its not my job to convince student to go to the school.

like it or not, they're your teachers and you have to do the assignment.

He may be my teacher, but that doesn't mean I have to do it. Sure I might lose points for the presentation part, but to be honest, I'm not all that worried about that....I don't need this class to graduate, and the only reason I took it was because I couldn't have 3 study halls, and there were no other good options for a 4th hour class. Besides, why should I have to do something that I believe is not quite right?

you could be doing A LOT harder things than that, so be thankful.

Such as what? I never said anything to create the impression that I thought this project/presentation was hard. The class is easy...one of the easiest classes I have taken. It's just basically a individual project (design your own business), notes, book stuff, and this group project....easy.

He may be my teacher, but that doesn't mean I have to do it. Sure I might lose points for the presentation part, but to be honest, I'm not all that worried about that....I don't need this class to graduate, and the only reason I took it was because I couldn't have 3 study halls, and there were no other good options for a 4th hour class.
k then, /thread

your argument seems pointless to me.
your taking a marketing class, a class people take so they can get a feel for marketing as a career, which will invlove trying to sell your ideas.......
so what if the school is getting a little out of it? there is nothing wrong with that

im in shop class right now and we build shelves, chairs, trailors, etc.. and geuss what the school does with the stuff we build? they sell it to make money, is that wrong??? no considering they provided the tools, materials, and the time.

you sound like the typical kid whos trying to fight the power (in this case the power is the school system)
get over it, what grade are you in anyways?

I don't get it either. I can sorta kinda see some semblance of an ethical dilemna here but it sounds to me like it's more whining and "fighting the system" than a real problem. I doubt there's a secret school recruitment conspiracy going on here. You created a marketing project about your school and your job is to pitch it to potential clients, i.e. possible future students. Isn't this the whole basis of marketing? Besides, if the school somehow manages to get a few extra transfer students ("C'mon Mom, they showed this great PowerPoint slideshow! I hafta go to that school now!"), what's it to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom