Can't load windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnelson07

In Runtime
So, whenever I leave my computer alone for a bit I lock it. I came back to find only the wallpapers shown and no login screen.

I reboot the computer manually to find the computer idling at the POST screen. It only reached reading the RAM. I restart it again and this time it gets to detecting IDE drives but never does. I reboot again and it finally gets to the Windows logo but idles at the blue loading bar. Once I restart from there it seems to repeat. Finally I decided to disconnect my secondary drive (the 250GB) and it booted to Windows again. However, it wanted to preform a check disk. And, given what has been happening, I let it run.

So far it has found and replaced a few things, but this kind of activity sounds like a dying hard drive to me. Which is a shame because I just bought the WD 750 about a week ago. I don't want to RMA for a new one already. We'll see what happens after CHKDSK runs, maybe it will fix the problem. But once again, why would errors in loading Windows affect the computer not booting completely through POST?

After CHKDSK ran, the computer fully booted to windows. However, it also froze at windows. Nothing worked and I could only move the mouse. I try a Ctrl+Alt+Del and nothing. I try to boot a few more times and then I just reset the CMOS. Still nothing. So just as Reikokuko suggested, I'm booting to disc right now to try and repair windows and see what happens.

The symptoms don't seem to point to just one thing though. Some things point to mobo problems, some to hdd, and some to windows. This is strange.

I don't have the option to Repair windows on my partition. So... idk what to do. I don't want to reformat at all.

It has to be windows at this point. If i try to allow it to boot to windows, I see a VERY brief BSOD and the computer restarts. I guess I should just run chkdsk again in the recovery console, I'm not sure what else I could do with what I currently have on me. (aka no other HDD to format and install windows on to access this HDD as a slave)

After I ran that CHKDSK I was able to boot in safe mode. I scanned for viruses and trojans, found a few minimal things and told windows to perform a disk repair when it booted up again. It did so (took 6 hours) and now everything seems to be ok. I overclocked to all the same settings again and everything is looking good. Just thought I'd keep you guys up to date.

Glad you got it running. Sounds like a pain in the butt. I would make a few restore points if I were you. I've read somewhere the the larger hard drives are more prone to problems. Not sure how true that is but I'm waiting for a bit till I buy one that big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom