Crossfire 2900xt vs 8800ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophet

In Runtime
I know this has probably been posted elsewhere already, but until now i was planning on buying an ultra for my new build. I will be playing games on a 24" 1900x1200 monitor, and although price really isnt an issue, i noticed that for the price of one Ultra, i could get two 2900xtx's in crossfire mode. From looking at the stats, the 2900's beats a single ultra card in most games and kills it in benchmark. I guess what i'm looking for is an unbias opinion, most of the sites i went to favour ATI so i dont really trust them. I'm aware that having a double card set up adds a lot of heat, but i dont see that being a problem for my cool master stacker 830 to handle.

if i were you id get 2 2900pros, flash them to XT, oC the crap out of them, and they will kill an ultra for roughly the same price

in every benchmark i've seen 2900xt's in crossfire are killed by a single Ultra.

ATI cards have too many driver issues IMO

The key here is his monitor resolution. At very high resolutions benchmarks show crossfire 2900XT - 1GB DDR4 beat out SLI Ultras, but only by a small margin.

I say if you want to save power, replace all your light bulbs with those energy efficient ones, buy a hybrid, and plant a tree.

I doubt 100 extra watts from a couple video cards really matters. I say if you're gonna save energy, make it big.

An extra 200 watts you mean...and that's not a small amount of power. Also even for a highly efficient 85% efficiency PSU, to give 200 watts it uses 230...so there's another 30 watts of heat

Anyway the real issue is heat dump....it depends on the setup and case but dumping 400 watts can really heat up the entire room quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom