Harddrive Will Not Reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.

schazz

Solid State Member
I recently accidentally shut off the power strip as my computer was shutting down. I was then unable to reboot my computer, tried a few fixes which failed, and decided to reformat. I booted up the XP Pro disc, let it load, and pressed enter (to "Set up Windows XP now"). After agreeing to the licensing agreement, the list of hard drives is empty and each space says "Unkown Disk, <There is no disk in this drive.>"

If I try to select a drive or fix a partition, it goes to a blue screen saying this:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer....etc etc.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF77C0C13, 0xF73967E4, 0x00000000)

*** setupdd.sys - Address F77C0C13 base at F7794000, Datestamp 41107c8f

Can anyone tell me what this means? Is the harddrive fried?

And my computer is home built (3 years ago) with an AMD64 3400+ cpu with asus a8v deluxe mobo, 1GB PC3200, 75GB raptor, and an ati video card, 9800pro i think...

Thanks guys!!!

Or get a windows 98 boot disk and boot off of it and at the A: run fdisk. Delete all the partitions and then create an active partition then try to run your install.

Sounds like your memory fried. Try a different stick of memory. I can almost guarantee it will fix it.

First I would try using another hard drive. If this works this means your hard drive is malfunctioning. Second I would try replacing the IDE Cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom