Laptop Graphics cards..

Status
Not open for further replies.
also u need to consider finding a place to buy it from..

but i never new you can upgrade it... every laptop i've ever take apart seem to have their's soldered on... odd.... i guess upgradability is a new trend now?

also u need to consider finding a place to buy it from..

but i never new you can upgrade it... every laptop i've ever take apart seem to have their's soldered on... odd.... i guess upgradability is a new trend now?

No. Laptops graphics card are being "modular" because it is easier for the manufactor to slap one on. That doesn't mean you can find another one for it. Especially with a custom heatpipe.

Hey, you made the statement without prior knowledge. But You are right in a way, if it is soldered onto the mainboard. Technically it isn't its own "dedicated" card. But rather "onboard".

Hello,

My name is Mike, I'm a Technical Analyst located at Dell corporate headquarters in Round Rock, TX. I'm part of an internet outreach team developed to interact with the online community regarding technical questions and issues that customers face with Dell products. I've read the question and comments here and wanted to chime in with some clarification.

The Inspiron 6400 comes in 2 flavors, dedicated graphics and onboard. If you've ordered the system with onboard graphics then you can't add in a graphics card because there are no connections on the motherboard. If you did order the system with dedicated graphics then you have the option of the 128MB ATI x1300 (64MB onboard/64MB shared) or 256 MB ATI x1400 (128 MB onboard/128MB shared.)

You can get a better idea of what the cards look like and how they fit in the system here. I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Mike
Dell customer advocate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom