External graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynay

Patron
As an engineering project I want to build a video wall out of lots of monitors pieced together as a sort of video mosaic. Unfortunately I don't believe there is a cheap desktop graphics card which supports 16 outputs. I was hoping you guys could help me work out how to make this possible without breaking the bank???

USB20-VGA, Usb 2.0 Svga Adapter, Svga Adapter, Usb 2.0 To Svga Adapter
I could buy loads of these and build there own little housing into my project but I would need to really over do it on usb's, and the resolution is awful

Btw I found this which is rather interesting:
NVIDIA has just released a monster external graphics solution for people who have exceedingly high demands for pushing pixels. The Quadro Plex 1000 is a set of graphics processors enclosed in its own box, capable of rendering 80 billion pixels per second and powering multiple monitors with a combined resolution of up to 148 million pixels. It doesn't come cheap: prices start at $17,500, and it is intended primarily as a networked rendering solution. It requires one or two free PCIe slots (yes, you can buy two and run them in SLI mode) to connect it to your computer.

I belive their are External USB graphics cards you can by. I read an article about them on Tomshardware months ago. You can be some decent gaming ones, but they alsp make cheaper ones for just a basic output.

ALthough, I'm not quite sure how you'd go about outputting to multiple monitors using multiple USB video cards.

Ohhhhh. Wait wait wait wait. I'm sorry, I just now understood what that thing was.

That just hooks up via USB and outputs video that your graphics card renders.

I was talking about an actual external graphics card, like this one, ATI to release power-hungry external video card? - Engadget .

That article is very old. I saw an external graphics card at a local PC parts store where I live, for under 60 bucks or so. I wasn't sure if you're looking for an actual external graphics card, or if you wanted to know how those USB to VGA adapters for outputting video are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom