Motherboard to OC Q6600 with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinzen

Solid State Member
I'm wondering whats the best suited motherboard atm, that is best fit to overclock the Q6600 to break 3.4ghz and further with...

- I don't care if it supports SLI or not
- Must be cheaper then the Striker Extreme

I did some searching and these three were the ones that kept coming up.
- GigaByte GA-P35-DS3R
- ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP
- EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 nForce 680i

Im stumped as to which one is the best for OC'ing the Q6600. Need help :(

I've heard the 680i is good but it is the odd one of out of those 3 motherboards. The DS3R and the p5k have the Intel p35 chipset, which is currently best known for overclocking. I recommend the p5k which I believe supports crossfire. (deluxe if you're willing to spend $$$) The P35-DS3R is a very good board but if you want to save alot of cash go for the DS3P. What you will lose is 4 sata ports (there are 8 on DS3R), and RAID support. If you want crossfire, go for the DS3P, it is slightly more expensive but it may be a nice option for future expansion. Out of the boards I've mentioned, it's really just personal choice.

If you're sole purpose is overclocking, the DS3P is fine and will suit your needs.

No, no, no and no! 680i is NO BUENO. Not stable at all compared to P35 chipsets. And from what I've seen 680i boards arent nearly as cheap as P35's.

Aslong as you pick a mobo that's a P35 chipest, you should be set for overclocking. Check into the Gigabyte mobo I have in my signature. It overclcoks very, very well and I'd recomment it for anyone looking for a mobo for an Intel proc.

The DS3R is a favorite here. Its fairly cheap and a good overclocker. The P5K is slightly better for overclocking the Q6600, however, it is more expensive. You just have to work out how much OCing you want for your money...

I have had 0 problems with my p35-ds3r. You might also look at the abit p35 board as i have read its one of the best overclockers around.
Also, a cheaper alternative is the p35-ds3l, the difference between the boards is that it doesnt have raid support like the R does.

Ive got the biostar tp35d2-a7 105 at newegg -30 rebate 85.
Ive got it prime95 stable at 9x390. but nothing past that booted to windows and kicked restarted at 9x400 after about ten seconds in prime95.

My Q6600 B3 @ 4140 thats not mine

I've got a DS3. Can't get my processor stable past 3GHz though...I think it might be my RAM or my PSU, because I'm using the one that came with my case, although I'm not sure how much effect the PSU would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom