prevent .exe files from downloading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
QFT.

Sorry raverx3m, but the only reliable solutions are to either upgrade to a more modern and secure browser, or stop going to sites that have problems.

Firefox with NoScript will solve your problem.

It's time to either let go of IE, or stop whining about it and just accept the fact that it will be a security problem.

exactly.

you are the one that ask the question and answer the question in the same post.

in case you didn't notice, nobody was planning to answer the obviously stupid post. at least I answered it. that started the interest in the post. I was not going to give you the correct answer which was "get another browser" because you didn't want to hear it. at least we have you listening now.

you are welcome

im not tryin to start an argument here but what would u say if he replied to ur post like that i tried to be cool and let it go but couldnt because it is really looks to me that he jsut tried to look cool even tho im sure he knows the answer.
i dont know if i didnt state my question clear enough or he didnt understand the question what u guys replied wwas good enough for me and he could just write 2 more sentences and be dont with it.

for all other people thanks for explaining it...

i still have one more question:

since most files are downloaded in certain directories like C:\, windows, temp , and other

is there a software available that i can set up to monitor just those directories?

what if i open it with a notepad and delete all or at least most of the data so the spyware exe file would be nonfunctional and leave it there read only or make a 0byte file with same name and with write protect

im not tryin to start an argument here but what would u say if he replied to ur post like that i tried to be cool and let it go but couldnt because it is really looks to me that he jsut tried to look cool even tho im sure he knows the answer.
i dont know if i didnt state my question clear enough or he didnt understand the question what u guys replied wwas good enough for me and he could just write 2 more sentences and be dont with it.

since most files are downloaded in certain directories like C:\, windows, temp , and other

is there a software available that i can set up to monitor just those directories?

what if i open it with a notepad and delete all or at least most of the data so the spyware exe file would be nonfunctional and leave it there read only or make a 0byte file with same name and with write protect

1. yes you are trying to start an argument by keep it going.
2. and for purposely going out the way not to thank me and thank everybody else
3. how should I have answer your question?

remember, you didn't want to hear the answer, which was the reason nobody else bother to post. do a history of this forum. question like this always stay unanswered unless I answer them

4. peterhuang913 wants to defend you, yet he doesn't answer the question. that's what he does. he just conversate in a topic and won't actually fix a problem. yet he always finds time to always throw a cheap shot at me

you and peterhuang913 need to learn and respect a few things.

1. I don't type good and I keep my answer short and simple. typing was the only class that I've flunked as I got A's in everything else. I'm 6'4 280, yet my hands are still large for my size.

I could have gave you a long explanation on your question, but why should I when you didn't want to hear the answer?

2.I'm from the hood and grew up in it. I don't talk and act like you. I"m a former gang leader who suddenly realize that living that lifestyle would either land you in jail or get you killed. I'd alway knew it before and didn't not really care much, but when I had kids, I had to stop thik like that, because it wasn't about just me anymore. I now own my own computer business.

Makaveli213, the guy that defended me. he know that's how I am. he respects that. he know that sometimes I post a reply that sound kind of sh**tty or mean, but he also know that maybe I didn't mean it in the way that I typed it.

but I meant exactly what I said to your post and I wasn't being mean. it called the "hard truth"

you need to look back at your question and ask yourself, "what this really a stupid question", then you will see where I'm coming from

I had expect you to maybe post back, why did I say that, then I would took the time and explained it to you, but no, peterhuang913 had to start a flame war and you fed into it.

you are welcome, again.

no, that alright, you don't have to thank me. you won't ever worry about me helping you again.

you see, despite my style, I'm one of the most helpful forums member here. do a search of the topic "Who are the most knowledgeable forum members?". it's under the old forum setup. watch many times that people mentioned my name

I don't just post to up my post count like somebody else here in this thread

Plain and simple. No. If you want to monitor your downloads you will ahve to do it with a downlaod manager. But not all of them take priority over the browsers current downlaod abilties.

Not all downloads are in Windows. In fact non should be there. That folder should neer be touched. They should be under your app data temp files. Which is a hidden folder which no software, even with them viewable, will monitor.

Since you refuse to hear the answer of Firefox or Opera then i will say this. Get a add on like IE7Pro. From there check around their site for user scripts and see if you cant find something that will either A) block the downloads or B) at elast give you the ability to stop them from downloading.

Sadly this is all stopped with a simple switch. In both Opera and firefox going to any MySpace profile nothing is downloaded. I ahve not had any issues. But since you want IE only you have to find a way around this. Get Avant, Maxathon or something that can help.

Eric-

Nothing but love. Take it easy.;) :p

1. yes you are trying to start an argument by keep it going.
2. and for purposely going out the way not to thank me and thank everybody else
3. how should I have answer your question?

remember, you didn't want to hear the answer, which was the reason nobody else bother to post. do a history of this forum. question like this always stay unanswered unless I answer them

4. peterhuang913 wants to defend you, yet he doesn't answer the question. that's what he does. he just conversate in a topic and won't actually fix a problem. yet he always finds time to always throw a cheap shot at me

you and peterhuang913 need to learn and respect a few things.

1. I don't type good and I keep my answer short and simple. typing was the only class that I've flunked as I got A's in everything else. I'm 6'4 280, yet my hands are still large for my size.

I could have gave you a long explanation on your question, but why should I when you didn't want to hear the answer?

2.I'm from the hood and grew up in it. I don't talk and act like you. I"m a former gang leader who suddenly realize that living that lifestyle would either land you in jail or get you killed. I'd alway knew it before and didn't not really care much, but when I had kids, I had to stop thik like that, because it wasn't about just me anymore. I now own my own computer business.

Makaveli213, the guy that defended me. he know that's how I am. he respects that. he know that sometimes I post a reply that sound kind of sh**tty or mean, but he also know that maybe I didn't mean it in the way that I typed it.

but I meant exactly what I said to your post and I wasn't being mean. it called the "hard truth"

you need to look back at your question and ask yourself, "what this really a stupid question", then you will see where I'm coming from

I had expect you to maybe post back, why did I say that, then I would took the time and explained it to you, but no, peterhuang913 had to start a flame war and you fed into it.

you are welcome, again.

no, that alright, you don't have to thank me. you won't ever worry about me helping you again.

you see, despite my style, I'm one of the most helpful forums member here. do a search of the topic "Who are the most knowledgeable forum members?". it's under the old forum setup. watch many times that people mentioned my name

I don't just post to up my post count like somebody else here in this thread

i don't know who you mean by but if its Peter or me.... (safe bet cuz makaveli is popular on this part of the section) but we're useful in the Computer Hardware Zone....

but your right tho, he never posted in a form of a question... so we couldn't really do anything...

I am only here cause Windows OS's are what i know. I got a Microsoft MVP for my knowledge of Windows User Accounts and the Shell Interface.

Or as the put it Windows Shell/User MVP.

So that is why i stick around here and answer questions. I could go answer them in the HArdware zone as i have built over 25 machines myself from scratch. I ahve also done GFX work, among other various gaming and stuff like that. But this area is the easiest to answer the questions in. Yet be useful. :p

Let alone the fact i am A+ Core Hardware and Operating System Certified and Net+ Certified. Which i could go to other parts and put that to use as well.

But i am sure he meant Peter on that.

But i am sure he meant Peter on that.

bingo

it's funny Mak. I use to always get Pm's from people on how to get certified. I'm not certified. I learned most of this by myself. the major taught a lot of stuff too. he pointed me in the right direction to get more knowledge of computers

bingo

it's funny Mak. I use to always get Pm's from people on how to get certified. I'm not certified. I learned most of this by myself. the major taught a lot of stuff too. he pointed me in the right direction to get more knowledge of computers

The funny thing is i have never needed my certs. I went in and took the test without taking the course. I knew all the stuff before i went in there. I am just like you on this. I taught myself everything i know. I am a bit behind on learning the newer stuff with Dual and Quads but overall i have taught myself everything. I only got certified cause when i lost my job at the Steel Plant i could get trained and certified for free. So i figured why not.:laughing:

look eric i dont question ur knowledge of subject what i meant is u could perhaps answer it in simplest form like for example " theres no way to do it with IE ..... i have to switch to different browser or upgrade.

but im using IE( please dotn tell me to switch because i have other browsers, i just prefer IE) was to point out that im aware of other options and that
the question was-
"i want to know how to prevent it i mean i have a firewall and everything" USING IE.. and not other browsers.

i searched to the best of my knowledge and couldnt find any answers online or they were too technical to understand for me. so i asked here.
now, i dont mind you answering my questions at all just not in a way you did this time.

Read post 14. But other than switching that will be your best option. If that dont work you have no choice but to either A) Live with the downloaded sypware/viruses or B) give up IE and switch to a different browser.

You wanted the answer there is it. IE is not the choice here. You want it to be safe and secure. It isnt. There is no way even with a firewall to prevent this. Even if we could what happens when you forget about it and you try to download a file from a M$ site? That is in .exe format and cant. You will be right back here asking us again how to do be able to download the file when we have already told you how to block it.

This is a no win situation. If there was a way to block it you would have to remember everytime you wanted to legitly download a file about it. I know i am not perfect and i forget things all teh time. So i highly doubt you could remember everytime you click your mouse if hte block is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom