quad core or not (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nehalem is going to be 45nm, not 32nm when it comes out

But from what I heard Intel will make a 32nm die shrink for Nehalem sometime on 2009

Yes im aware of that, but my point was that whatever boards come out for nehelem they will probably allow the use of both 45nm and 32nm nehalem. So building a p35 machine with a q6600 should be more than enough until the new archetecture comes out.

I don't see 32nm happening for awhile. It's not SUPPOSE to be out until 2009 or so.

But I don't know. I've heard from my phsyics teacher and a guy that works at Intel that they had a hard enough time getting to 32nm as it is.

No matter what Intel has stated, 32nm isn't near being able to be release, even if they say they've developed a 32nm prototype. They're almost hitting physical limitations.

The thought of them ever going to 16nm blows my mind, that doesn't even sound possible.

An atom has a diameter of what, .1nm-.5nm. 16nm is getting **** close to that.

Ya but the 45nm nehalems will be a completely different archetecture and have the onboard memory controller. My guess is once those come out and come down to a reasonable price will probably be about the same time that my q6600 starts struggling. It's also full possible that the q6600 will still be more than enough for just about everything on the market. The thing to remember about die shrinks is that it brings the cost of the cpu down.

Yea same here.

I think I'm going to keep my current rig how it is for awhile.

Once DDR3 comes to so you can get 2gigs for under $200, latencies become a bit tighter, and we start seeing my X38 boards, then I'll get everything new.

I'll probably upgrade my video card at some point though. I'm running 35-50fps in Crysis right now with everything on high @ 1280x1024, and would like to be running a bit higher then that. So I'm sure UT3 is going to run similar.

woah ppl...get back to the subject...Q6600 or E6850? Will the Q6600 at stock speeds struggle in any games?

...no...

The q6600 should be fine for a pretty good amount of time. If your going dual core I would suggest a budget c2d not a high end one.

woah ppl...get back to the subject...Q6600 or E6850? Will the Q6600 at stock speeds struggle in any games?

Dude, why would a core 2 anything @ 2.4ghz struggle at any game? Let alone a quad core with a hella cache on it. Even mine at stock 2.4 is ubber fast. I have mine at 3.1ghz right now, and the thing is extremely satisfieing.

Plus, if you're a gamer, you're most likely looking forward to Crysis and UT3. Which both be able to use 4+ cores. Plus, as time goes along, more and more games will be able to take use of more then two cores, which is definetly going to help out immensly. So if anything, a quad core is going to last you longer then that E6850.

At this point no gamer should EVER ask dual or quad core. Its well noted that pretty much every game coming out in the next year is going to have multi core support. As cheap as q6600s are and how well they overclock there is no reason to buy a dual core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom