Overclocking geforce 8 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have my card OC'd at all times. I leave it at default settings until I'm about to go into a game and then have it running like that. When I'm done gaming I go back to default. It's really not a big deal. Unless you have a really hot room then I doubt you'll reach the max temp.

If you're satisfied with the performance at 2.4GHz, there isn't a need to push it further.

but then again, why did I get at tuniq tower 120 :p

anyways doesn't it reduce the life of the card by pushing it to its limits and having it crash? I just feel guilty and think Im too delicate with all my computer stuff...I mean who wouldn't with a $2000 dollar system ( with tax ) :p

anyways doesn't it reduce the life of the card by pushing it to its limits and having it crash? I just feel guilty and think Im too delicate with all my computer stuff...I mean who wouldn't with a $2000 dollar system ( with tax ) :p

heh...You might as well overclock, because you have overclocking componenets, such as the DS3R and HZs. Overclocking is really nothing to be afraid of. If you're doing it right, the worst that can happen, is a simple reset or frozen screen.

you only really reduce the lifespan when you overvolt or raise the voltage from stock, otherwise its still using the same power requirements and such to just push out better performance

even when you reduce the life cycle, it'll still be a good 3-5 years since most things can last 5-10 years and thats only in extreme cases

why don't you just overclock? theres nothing to be scared of... geeze

all you have to do is adjust the sliders in ATITool and test to see how hot it gets... then raise it again until it crashes like Bigapl said

a lot of people also overclock just for the fun of it, ever heard of benchmarking? lots of users on here only have high performance systems to benchmark...

and also, the reason you bought a q6600 is because in the future, you can overclock it to keep up with games your pc can't handle on the stock 2.4 ghz, or if you wan't to speed up encoding, general tasks etc.

Quads run at 4:5 with memory at stock settings. If you are running a g0 quad and ds3r try setting your memory multi to 2.0 and set your FSB to 400 with 1.35V on the CPU then keep an eye on your temps.

Also I see that your GTX is EVGA and if you manage to actually permanently damage your GTX (I have no idea how you would though), EVGA will give you a new one. Its an enthusiast card and they cover overclocking in their warranty. That might make you feel a little better about overclocking it.

Also I see that your GTX is EVGA and if you manage to actually permanently damage your GTX (I have no idea how you would though), EVGA will give you a new one. Its an enthusiast card and they cover overclocking in their warranty. That might make you feel a little better about overclocking it.

are you sure about that? no company in their right mind would cover overclocking damage..., would they?

I had a customer service rep tell me this personally. Both my 680i mobo and my GTX are covered from OC'ing damage as long as it is returned in the same physical state as I received it in. They dont care if you put an aftermarket cooler on either as long as when you send it back, it has the stock cooler on it. Its all just one more reason why I love EVGA

Quads run at 4:5 with memory at stock settings. If you are running a g0 quad and ds3r try setting your memory multi to 2.0 and set your FSB to 400 with 1.35V on the CPU then keep an eye on your temps.

I just dont like doing stuff unless I know everything about it ( can never find a good resource for overclocking with my mobo ). Is it possible to overclock to 2.7 ghz without changing the voltage or anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom