reformatting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzypumpkins

Baseband Member
I have been trying to reformat win xp pro. I have the cd. I put it in. I selected "boot from cd" etc, etc. When I turn my pc on and it goes into the setup menu, it doesn't even get to the place where i can delete partitions. It just doesn't exist or something. I don't know what to do. The only thing I can do is repair or install a clean copy of xp. But I tried both. Repairing doesn't do anything, and when I install a new copy, all my programs are still there. Its like it doesn't work. Any ideas?

i have winxp pro already on it. thats all. I was trying to get some drivers to work, but it didnt work, so i decided to reformat and start over. Thats when I found out that its messed up I guess.

Is it a pirated copy of WinXP? I don't really think that would be the issue here, but I've had tons of problems with users installing XP with a pirated CD.

Look for a program called Boot 'N Nuke and completely wipe your hard drive. You can't start afresh any more than that. If the problem persists, its time to suggest something it physically wrong with your hard drive.

Alright after you insert disc. Hit a key to enter setup. Windows is preaparing setup. Then it should say hit F8 to agree to the EULA. Then it gives you some options to setup Windows or Repair. Setup Windows. After that it will search and find your current install. Click that you want to do a fresh install. I think that is Esc key. Now it will ask if you wish to continue.

After that it should ask you here about your partitions and that. You just havent gone far enough into the setup process to get to where you want.

I bought my xp version from tigerdirect. Anyways, I couldn't delete any partition. When I went through the steps to reformat, it would just install another xp pro on my pc, so I have like 5 xp pros one my c drive. :(

Someone on another forum told me to take out the drive, hook it up as a slave on another pc, and format it. So I did, then put it back in my pc, and installed a fresh xp pro. Now it works fine. The only problem I have now is that my 8800gts is having really bad graphics problems. My games look horrible.

Haev you got the latest drivers from nVidia. Dont forget XP doesnt support DX10.

no where in your post did you mention that you deleted the partitions. after selecting that you want to install a fresh copy of windows and agreeing to the lisnce agreement by pressing f8 you need to select all partitions and press D to delete them untill you have nothing but unallocated space left. then you press enter on the unallocated space and format using the ntfs file system. that will format and clear the drive with a fresh install.

Look at post 5. That is where i explained in detail everything you just said. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom