quad core or not (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
didn't we hear these arguments before and all agree on the one guy who came in and said you can't compare these situations and no one even knows a time frame or the performance for the penryn processors to come out? I recall this same thing happening with the R600 before it came out...seriously stop commenting on stuff that isn't out.

Even if he did have to wait longer than expected for a true quad core to appear so what? He'd still have an overclocked E2180 thats kicking *** and doing really well. And he only spend ~80 bucks on it.

he's giving trends that happened... as explained by the original dual cores (D) which are two P4's combined, while the X2 brought on true dual core processing, then followed by the C2D, right now the quads are just two C2D's slapped together, penryn will bring true quad, and if the performance difference is anywhere near the D to X2, then it'll be quite a jump

You made many mistakes here

First: the main reason why Pentium D performed worse than Athlon X2 is not because it wasn't true dual core or not, but because it was based in horrible architecture that have very poor performance per clock and performance per watt.

Second: Yorkfield is not a native quad core but it is two Wolfdale in one chip. Yorkfeild is simply a 45nm die shrink of Kentsfield with some improvements and tweaks in the architecture. I think that Yorkfield would be around 10% faster than Kentsfield per clock, and it also have the ability to overclock better because of the die shrink

Just buy a q6600, a thermalright ultra 120 extreme. Overclock it to 3.6ghz then wait for the 32nm chips to come out. The 45nm penryns are only a die shrink of the conroes and arent really showing THAT much improvement. Also, they wont be out until the first of the year and will by no means be as cheap as the q6600 is right now.

If you want my honest opinion....choose the E2160 or 2180 right now, overclock the **** out of one with a Tuniq. You can get 3.4-3.8 probably which is fast for low money. Use the money you saved to make your other parts better and then when the true Pentryn Quad's come out, go for one of those.

That is what I would do...

I'm 99% positive the first Penryns are going to be mobile dual and quad processors, not desktop. The new Intel 45nm desktop procs aren't going to be released until Q1 '08, if not a bit after. Also, knowing Intel, they'll release a product on a day, but it won't be available to purchase for about a month after. Look at the X38 chipset. That was officially release what, Sept. 31st? More then a week later, and nothing.

Take it from someone that has a quad core, get one now. They overclock very well, not quite as well as some dual cores, but they still overclock well. Keep in mind, clock frequencies aren't everything. Crysis, UT3, and some other games that are going to be out by the end of November are going to support Quad cores, and that's just the begining. They're also multitasking beasts.

The 45nm penryns are only a die shrink of the conroes and arent really showing THAT much improvement.

It is not just a 45nm die shrink. As I said in my previous there are some minor improvement in the architecture as well

You need to read this
DailyTech - Intel Sheds Light on "Penryn" Enhancements

Look at the X38 chipset. That was officially release what, Sept. 31st? More then a week later, and nothing.

It was delayed to October 10, and this is an old news as well
TechConnect Magazine - Intel X38 launch delayed

Also, knowing Intel, they'll release a product on a day, but it won't be available to purchase for about a month after..

E6320 and E6420 were available on April 22

The 1333MHz processors were available on July 22

It seems that Intel always release there processors on time without any delays

The new Intel 45nm desktop procs aren't going to be released until Q1 '08, if not a bit after.

Thats completely untrue

You need to check this
Intel 45nm CPUs price and release date

The 45nm extreme Quad core is going to come out on November next month. The other 45nm processors will come out on January 2008

It is not just a 45nm die shrink. As I said in my previous there are some minor improvement in the architecture as well

You need to read this
DailyTech - Intel Sheds Light on "Penryn" Enhancements

It was delayed to October 10
TechConnect Magazine - Intel X38 launch delayed

Thats completely untrue

You need to check this
Intel 45nm CPUs price and release date

The 45nm extreme Quad core is going to come out on November next month. The other 45nm processor will come out on January 2008

What the ****.....

I had a discussion with an employee at PC Club. I asked him when the 45nm quads are out and the rest of the desktop processors. I told him I had heard they're out soon, then he proceeded to tell me the desktop procs aren't out until Q1 or 2008 and the mobile ones are the ones out this year. He even told me the Penryns are the mobile processors and theirs another codename for the desktop ones. Looks like what ******* missinformed me.

And when I said knowing Intel and not having their products release on time, I didn't just hear that from someone. I know for a fact their are multiple PC stores around here that didn't get the conroes when they were first release, same with past P4's. So no, it doesn't seem they always release them on time. Maybe online at some stores.

even if i didnt oc it, wouldnt a stock Q6600 (with a high-end vid. card, 2GBRAM, etc.) still be rlly fast in modern games?

The current q6600 will easily be enough to run 99% of games coming out until nehalem comes out, but at that point you will have to buy a new board anyway. I'm guessing whatever chipset comes out for nehalem it will handle both 45nm and 32nm cpus just like the p35's will accept 65 and 45's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom