Which would you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xraider5

Baseband Member
overclocking with a 2.4C and 512mb of pc3200 ram,

or

not overclocking with a 2.4C, and a gig of ram running at pc2700?

i have one stick of pc2700 in my system and i have reason to believe its keeping me from overclocking...

I can only assume that you have an Intel. First of all if you are going to go into you need to get an i875 motherboard. It is the best that they offer and should give you no problems. Anything lower can have weird problems with hardware. Anyway if you get an Intel motherboard it will not let you over clock. No matter what other hardware that you have in the case. They use this as a mechanism so that it will not wear out the hardware faster. If you want to overclock you should go with AMD's motherboards, but overclocking is really overrated anyway. Just stick with the Intel and don't overclock. It's really quite useless.

No they don't let you overclock. In fact if you somehow do find a way around their preventative mechanisms and the motherboard has a problem, it voids the warranty. Besides overclocking really dosen't add that much speed at all to the speed of the computer.

Jonesie said:
Besides overclocking really dosen't add that much speed at all to the speed of the computer.

Overclocking is way over rated.

if anyone wouldve read my sig, it'd say that i have a gigabyte board, which do indeed overclock well.

nobody answered my question

512 3200 is just fine for most applications.. unless you are multitasking alot of stuff, you do not need more then 512 ddr..

go for the 512.. especially since the 1gig is only 2700, thus forcing your cpu to slow down to the speed of that ram..

agex000 said:
Overclocking is way over rated.

Overclocking was meant to increase the speed of older and slower processor for games that requires a bit beyond what the processor offers. Other people overclock their processor to gain extra numbers in generic benchmarks. Overclocking a fast enough processor (i.e. 2.8c) will not give you any noticeable difference in terms of performance in todays applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom