installing xp over pre-installed vista 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bopol

Solid State Member
Hi! ive read the earlier posts about having dual os (xp&vista)

im having a similar problem and i just want to explain the details so, hopefully, you could guide me on how to fix the problem..so here's what happened

i just bought a new pc w/a pre-installed vista (eval copy only)..since i didn't want to purchase vista anyway, i decided to just reinstall the xp from my old pc which i am replacing... i was able to install xp but when the computer rebooted, it said that there was error loading OS... so i booted from cd again and reinstalled xp...again,i was able to run setup successfully but the same problem, error loading OS... i tried it one more time but i could no longer run setup...it would only take me until the "setup is inspecting your hardware..." and then the screen will turn blank... the cd is ok, i tried it on the old pc and it works fine...
here's a list of what i've done so far:

1. reformatted the hard drive by putting it as an external hard drive w/c connects thru USB... already tried quick and normal format but it still does not work...
2. tried inspecting the hard drive w/ norton's disk doctor and it was able to detect errors on the d drive(the disk has 2 partition by the way)

im still getting the same errors... please help...

p.s. i've already downloaded the drivers but how can i use them if i dont have os?would i just put those in the drivers folder in the nstallation cd?

I had a problem kinda like this... Go download Boot 'N Nuke or Killdisk, burn to CD, and wipe the drive that way. Then try to re-install XP.

Thank you! il go ahead and do that... hopefully this will do te trick also... thanks again! :D

whew! finally have my system up and running... i think i looked too far ahead... i just ran the setup from cd, connected the new HD as slave, deleted the partition..repartitioned them and installed the OS... thanks for the ideas though, im sure il be able to use them in the future, specially the delete softwares... :cool:

No problem, glad you got it figured out =). And yeah, those delete softwares permanently delete data (formatting doesn't permanently delete data, as you can still get data back with a data recovery program after you format).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom