quad core or not (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quads may not be totally utilized yet for games, but the newest games are coming out with dual and quad support such as crysis and world in conflict, if your going to be playing the latest games, the quad will help out a lot

quads may not be totally utilized yet for games, but the newest games are coming out with dual and quad support such as crysis and world in conflict, if your going to be playing the latest games, the quad will help out a lot

they already showed that games are already taking advantage of quads ( example SupCom, and that came out in feb 07 )

If you want my honest opinion....choose the E2160 or 2180 right now, overclock the **** out of one with a Tuniq. You can get 3.4-3.8 probably which is fast for low money. Use the money you saved to make your other parts better and then when the true Pentryn Quad's come out, go for one of those.

That is what I would do...

phssht, now lets be serious. You aren't going to get a stable 24/7 3.8ghz overclock on a E2180 with air cooling.

they already showed that games are already taking advantage of quads ( example SupCom, and that came out in feb 07 )

Your right they are taking advantage of the extra cores, but just think of how the Pentium D's were when Intel released their first "Dual-Core" they were just 2 P4's slapped together. Then when the AMD X2's came out with the first true Dual-Core, they totally just demolished the crappy Pentium D's. This is what they did with the current Quads. They just slapped two C2D together to make it. However the Pentryn Quad's will be true Quad-Cores and you can expect a huge performance increase over the current...

phssht, now lets be serious. You aren't going to get a stable 24/7 3.8ghz overclock on a E2180 with air cooling.

How about I am being serious.

The E2180 thread - Budget Build - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

I don't mean an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 will push it that high without temps getting out of hand, but use a Tuniq and 3.8ghz can be had. I saw one guy with an E2180 at 3.88ghz on air with a Tuniq tower stable loads at 63.

Quite a few can keep around 3.8 stable with a Tuniq or Thermalright.

However even if you don't have a Tuniq you can still push around 3.4ghz with a lower air cooler....3.4ghz for a chip you can find OEM 85 bucks. Heh

The 100 buck Abit Ip35-E board is known to have even better overclocks than most boards under 200 bucks (aside from the other Abit boards)

An Abit IP35-E board with an E2180 cooled with an AF7 I bet you can see 3.4ghz quite easily...with better cooling such as a Tuniq 3.8+ghz is not unreasonable. Not too bad for around 205 bucks.

Your right they are taking advantage of the extra cores, but just think of how the Pentium D's were when Intel released their first "Dual-Core" they were just 2 P4's slapped together. Then when the AMD X2's came out with the first true Dual-Core, they totally just demolished the crappy Pentium D's. This is what they did with the current Quads. They just slapped two C2D together to make it. However the Pentryn Quad's will be true Quad-Cores and you can expect a huge performance increase over the current...

didn't we hear these arguments before and all agree on the one guy who came in and said you can't compare these situations and no one even knows a time frame or the performance for the penryn processors to come out? I recall this same thing happening with the R600 before it came out...seriously stop commenting on stuff that isn't out.

Getting a low end dual core up to around 3GHz is going to perform great for gaming and multitasking. Honestly you will not see that much improvement unless you are hardcore with the multitasking. Music, a game, msn all at the same time are what typical users do for "multitasking" and if that is what you will be doing than I would suggest dual core and spend more money on a video card.

Getting a low end dual core up to around 3GHz is going to perform great for gaming and multitasking. Honestly you will not see that much improvement unless you are hardcore with the multitasking. Music, a game, msn all at the same time are what typical users do for "multitasking" and if that is what you will be doing than I would suggest dual core and spend more money on a video card.

lots of times, even a lower end overclocked cpu will bottleneck a good graphics card

didn't we hear these arguments before and all agree on the one guy who came in and said you can't compare these situations and no one even knows a time frame or the performance for the penryn processors to come out? I recall this same thing happening with the R600 before it came out...seriously stop commenting on stuff that isn't out.

he's giving trends that happened... as explained by the original dual cores (D) which are two P4's combined, while the X2 brought on true dual core processing, then followed by the C2D, right now the quads are just two C2D's slapped together, penryn will bring true quad, and if the performance difference is anywhere near the D to X2, then it'll be quite a jump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom