Wierd Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkchops

Solid State Member
Alright, to start things off, the specs of my computer.

Enermax 600 watt p-supply
Amd athlon 64+ 3800 processor
2 gigs of dual channel ram
ATI (Asus) X1600 256mb vid card

(Thought the problem could've been with my video drivers and directx but both are up to date with windows xp)
Not really too sure what kind of MoBo I use, but I could find out.

If anyone needs anything more, let me know.

Alright, to the problem.

My computer likes to throw freezing fits, mid-game, but only during games that are graphically intensive like World of Warcraft, Half-life2, I had it freeze while playing Black and White, and even Warcraft 3.

After each freeze, I restart my computer, and every so often a message comes up with "Your CPU Fan speed is too low, press F1 to continue anyway" or something along those lines, but if I reboot after that screen, it doesn't pop up again.

After I've rebooted, and everything, if I try to play any graphically intensive game again, it will freeze yet again, within a few minutes of playing, it will even freeze during less graphically intensive games, after the first initial freeze.

The interesting part is that when it freezes, anything that I've done such as adding songs to my winamp playlist, or saving over a text file in word, will be reverted to the last known save/playlist.

But not everything gets reverted, for example.. If I were to save a word file, it will get reverted to the last save, but if I save an edited photo, or edited song, they will remain edited.

I think it could be a faulty memory issue but I haven't gotten around to replacing the memory to see if it would prevent it from freezing.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this, because I have absolutely no idea what's wrong with my computer.

Thanks,
Forkchops

Hey Forkchops (lol..funny name)
Welcome-to-TF.png

It looks like your system is overheating, since you mentioned that "Your CPU fan is too low". So go into the BIOS, and see what settings there are, for the fan.

Fan settings look normal, decent rpm speed (2700) the warning only comes up when it's lower than 1200, and that only happens every once in awhile, after the freezing/rebooting.

And what are your idle and load temperatures? Use Everest to monitor them.

Unfortunately, I'll have to get back to you on that..

Not at my computer at the moment.. (On my parents computer, because mine doesn't have a modem, and we only have dial-up right now.. until wednesdayish anyway)

So I'll have to figure the idle & load temps then, or keep going back and forth >.>

I'll repost when I get them, or if I have anything else to share about the problem.

It sound like your CPU is throttling itself because it is too hot. Some video cards can do this too....but most likely it's your CPU.

Do a Prime stress test and monitor the temps and tell us what the temps are

Alright, unfortunately, I've been pretty busy as of late, just got around to finding out the temperatures.

Temperatures:
Motherboard 36 °C (97 °F)
CPU 35 °C (95 °F)
Aux 49 °C (120 °F)
WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 40 °C (104 °F)

Those temperatures look perfectly fine to me. I'm assuming these are idle temperatures. Have you seen the graphic card's temperature? You can check this with ATI Tool.

So this freezing, only happens whenever you play games?

These temperatures were mid-gameplay during a pretty intense scene graphically anyway.

There's a problem with checking my card temperature though, apparently I have one that doesn't support Temperature or Clock speed monitoring, which is garbage, but I can't figure it out with ATI tool =(

I'm thinking I might just buy a new video card anyway, this one was just a "for now" video card when I built this computer.

It looks like your computer is crashing and resetting to last knows good configuration. That's not too good. Go into control panel and administrator event viewer and system. That will show you what errors your having. It can give you some ideas as to what is happening.Sounds like a cpu fan problem.Try another fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom