USB Storage Memory question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you get that info Peter? SATA 3GB/s? That is so wrong.

"Drives are rated by how fast they can read and write data. An Ultra ATA drive is rated at 33.3 MB/sec, while a SATA 300 has a data transfer rate of 300 MB/sec. "

From here....

What is Data Transfer Rate?

And from this site here...

TechExams.Net - A+ TechNote: ATA/IDE/EIDE/SATA

IT says this:

"SATA can transfer data up to 150MBps (and will likely advance to 300 MB and 600 MB per second in the near future), making it, in theory, faster than parallel ATA (now also referred to as PATA) using UltraDMA mode 6 running at 133MBps."

So wherever you heard 3GB/s let me know. So i can go there and tell these people how stupid they are. **** even Wikipedia says it

Serial ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taking into account 8b10b coding overhead, the actual uncoded transfer-rate is 1.2 Gbit/s, or 150 megabytes per second (MB/s).

So please tell me you are joking when you said 3GB/s. Cause that is so wrong. When io have shown 3 sites now and there are plenty more on Google that say this as well.

Where did you get that info Peter? SATA 3GB/s? That is so wrong.

"Drives are rated by how fast they can read and write data. An Ultra ATA drive is rated at 33.3 MB/sec, while a SATA 300 has a data transfer rate of 300 MB/sec. "

From here....

What is Data Transfer Rate?

And from this site here...

TechExams.Net - A+ TechNote: ATA/IDE/EIDE/SATA

IT says this:

"SATA can transfer data up to 150MBps (and will likely advance to 300 MB and 600 MB per second in the near future), making it, in theory, faster than parallel ATA (now also referred to as PATA) using UltraDMA mode 6 running at 133MBps."

So wherever you heard 3GB/s let me know. So i can go there and tell these people how stupid they are. **** even Wikipedia says it

Serial ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taking into account 8b10b coding overhead, the actual uncoded transfer-rate is 1.2 Gbit/s, or 150 megabytes per second (MB/s).

So please tell me you are joking when you said 3GB/s. Cause that is so wrong. When io have shown 3 sites now and there are plenty more on Google that say this as well.

I said 3Gb/s, small b for bit.

I didn't say anything about seek time, only overall read/write speed, for which the transfer rate is the bottleneck on USB devices. It is significantly faster to copy a 1 gig file from one SATA drive to another than to/from a USB 2.0 device.

If I remember right the performance of a HDD is higher if you read a block of sequential data. If you are reading data that it isn't stored sequentially in the device you can access to data faster with a memory stick. That's because the main disadvantage of a HDD is to move the "plates" into the right position, takes too long. If the data isn't stored sequentially the HDD has to position the reading heads in the right position several times decreasing the performance.

So you will get a higher performance if you use a memory stick to store virtual memory files because they aren't stored sequentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom