High Humidity Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewser

In Runtime
Hello,

I recently purchased a new rig, and I am having some concerns over potential problems that could be caused by high humidity.

I live in like the rainiest city in Hawaii, and one of the rainiest in the country at that. It's pretty tropical, so it is pretty muggy and warm a lot.

I have been getting mixed feedback locally about possible precautions to take, but thought I would see if anyone here had some experience or advice. For instance, people have told me to keep the pc running (powered on) so that it keeps warm and doesn't allow the air to condense into moisture or something along those lines... Has anyone ever heard of this?

At least I have the tower in an open, well ventilated area, and there is a good amount of airflow in the room it is in. I am looking into a dehumidifier, but I am a poor college student, so I don't know if I could afford a decent one that would be powerful enough for the whole room, not to mention the electric bill (electricity prices in hawaii=crappy).

Does anyone have any advice on computer upkeep/maintenance/precautions that would be worthwhile in high humidity environments, or am I overreacting?

Thanks

It would probably depend on percentage of humidity. But in most cases, that I've heard of, it's fine.

Leaving the computer on, would be a good idea, as it's better than turning the computer on and off, several times a day. So you could just leave it on the whole day, and turn it off, when you sleep.

My guess on the dehumidifier, although I'm not familiar with it....is that you probably don't need a powerful one, to dehumidify the whole room. Just the area around the computer.

A central air conditioner will get rid of humidity the best. If you use a dehumidifier, it will never stop running since moisture from other rooms will come in.

Unless you have water dripping off your walls and windows, you should be fine. You can put a bunch of silica gel in your computer to help remove moisture. You can put it in the oven to remove the moisture it collected.

The computer should operate ok. My concern would be an CD's that you own. High humidity can accelerate CD rot.

Humidity won't kill a computer, but condensation can. There's no real reason why a computer (on or off) will cause major condensation problems unless it's cooler than the warm, humid air around it- and that almost never happens since they are usually the source of heat in a room. So you won't have a problem unless you are running a cold-plate heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom