Slow processing speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodonebales

In Runtime
Hey guys, I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 that's being pretty slow. It's a 1.6GHz Pentium M with 1 gig RAM. I recently cleaned the entire thing out, everything short of a reformat. Anyway, when I go to Control Panel> System, it says the operating speed is only 798 MHz. Anyone have any guesses?

It's probably because of the Speedstep technology, with Intel processors. Also known as, EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology)...it throttles your CPU's speed down, when the computer is not being in use, or if it's idling. Then it throttles back up, once you start using an application or a program, that takes some CPU power.

I don't know if you can do this in the laptop's BIOS, but try and disable it, if you don't want it throttling down. But it's a good feature for laptops, so it saves power, when not in use.

It's probably because of the Speedstep technology, with Intel processors. Also known as, EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology)...it throttles your CPU's speed down, when the computer is not being in use, or if it's idling. Then it throttles back up, once you start using an application or a program, that takes some CPU power.

I don't know if you can do this in the laptop's BIOS, but try and disable it, if you don't want it throttling down. But it's a good feature for laptops, so it saves power, when not in use.

correct.... just like the Core 2 Duo... dropping the multiplier to save energy... since the C2D is based on PM which is based on P3.... don't disable it tho... because it saves a lot of battery life

i just realized since he says he has a Core 2 Duo in his sig.. we didn't need to explain what speedstep was... cuz i think i've told him how it works... i think i may do a thread on it...

Both C2D's and P-M's will throttle down. If you want it to run at full speed, you can force it by setting the power scheme to "Always On" (Windows XP) or "Maximum Performance" (Windows Vista).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom