2.4GHz or 3.1GHz?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesviper

Solid State Member
Hey,

I've used a program called "ClockGen" to overclock my E6600 to 3.1GHz [up from 2.4GHz]. I was running Orthos to monitor temperatures overnight. The highest it hit was 70, that was after 8 hours of run time, so I think I'll decrease the speed a bit as that's running very hot.

However, as I shut down Orthos I realized it listed my E6600 as running at 2.4GHz, so which one is correct?

benchmarkjd0.jpg

I ran it for six minutes after loading it up again to show you the temperature, etc.

why ClockGen?

its known to stop your PC from posting sometimes.... use your BIOS instead..

but try CPU-z and see what happens... i think orthos always displays stock speeds

ClockGen or any software, isn't recommended for overclocking. You should only overclock the CPU, through the BIOS. It's the only way to get a true and stable overclock.

70C, is getting very high and should stay below 60C on load, to be on the safe side of things. Are you using the stock cooler?

Orthos is correct, if I'm not wrong...because ClockGen only temporarily sets the speed.

*edit*
Vernong, Orthos shows the current speed, not only stock speed.

Using ClockGen because this specific computer uses a Dell motherboard. I'll be getting another if it's true that this runs at 2.4GHz, but my other computers in this house all list the overclocked speeds when running benchmarkers...but they've also all got ASUS / Gigabyte boards.

ClockGen or any software, isn't recommended for overclocking. You should only overclock the CPU, through the BIOS. It's the only way to get a true and stable overclock.

70C, is getting very high and should stay below 60C on load, to be on the safe side of things. Are you using the stock cooler?

Orthos is correct, if I'm not wrong...because ClockGen only temporarily sets the speed.

*edit*
Vernong, Orthos shows the current speed, not only stock speed.

ok... i just assumed... lol.... but you really shouldn't go over 60 tho... time to upgrade your cooler....

edit... oh you have a Dell.... that sucks... but Dell's use stock cooling...

ok... i just assumed... lol.... but you really shouldn't go over 60 tho... time to upgrade your cooler....

edit... oh you have a Dell.... that sucks... but Dell's use stock cooling...

dells don't use stock cooling most of the time.. the coolers they got on my p4's at work are surely beefy

if clockgen isnt set up properly it will not work on your computer.
it has something to do with the PLL (or something like that i am not even remotely sure what exactly keeps it from working).
i tried overclocking my moms old P4 (dell) with it and could never make it work right.
if orthos and cpu-z show it at a lower speed, it probably is the correct speed. if it isnt set up for your specific cpu, you can move the sliders in clockgen and it wont do anything. although it may show that it is rasing the clock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom