computer mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakegriffin85

Solid State Member
hi all, this is perhaps the strangest computer issue ive ever dealt with, maybe somebody can give me some ideas.

ive had a home built game rig now for about 2 years, has run like a dream - minus a few fan changes and a power supply replacement roughly a year ago.

it started out freezing randomly and restarting automatically in windows without any changes being made.
no problem i thought, ill just format it, but it wont format.

not a single installation program, be it windows xp 32bit, xp 64 bit, vista, not even suse or fedora linux, 32 bit and 64 bit, it doesnt care.
it doesn't freeze at a particular file, sometimes ill get half way done with an install, other times it will freeze before ive started.
when it freezes the cd drive becomes unresponsive and keyboard goes dead. sometimes it blinks.

i cant even run it with a live distro of linux, it simply freezes at various points during the mounting process. it doesnt force a shut down, when it freezes either, it just sits there... laughing at me. :freak:

ive tested all my memory, no issues there. processor, video card, and chipset are within normal temps, cd drive good, floppy disabled (useless anyway).
ive updated to the latest bios, and then back again to earlier versions, still the same problem with all of them.
it still freezes when i run a live distro of linux with the hard drive unplugged.

which in my mind means its one of two things: motherboard or power supply.
would these symptoms appear if a power supply had gone sour? or would that tend to be more a motherboard issue....
any help GREATLY appreciated - im losing my mind.

hrmmm not too sure if thats a sour power supply.. maybe i've had something simliar.. i'm not too sure, i was troubleshooting my friends ol' hp... getting random restarts and hangups which just lead to a restart.. just changed the power supply and it worked.... got any spares or know anyone who's got one?

maybe ur cpu is overheating? have you checked the temps on it

cpu runs at 50 celcius TOPS, but it doesnt get above 45 doing stuff like install... im going to slather some arctic silver 5 on that bad boy in about 2 minutes for good measure, as i install my recently purchased power supply.
hope this works...

well, i threw in that new power supply and sure enough, the problem persists.
im getting close to seeing how well my computer flys.

cpu temps normal, everything else in working condition, including brand new psu.

specs
Asus k8ne deluxe, athlon 64 3400 clawhammer, 1.5 gigs of corsair valueselect ram (tested fine x3) 120 gig seagate barricuda HD, radeon 9800 pro video card.

im out of ideas...
Hellllllp!

Have you checked the Hard Drive ? The Hard drive manufacture will have a utility that you can use to check it for disk errors try that .

well, i went ahead an ran a bootable hard drive analyzer on the hard drive and it's fit as a fiddle.
NOW WHAT!!! garbage can? or should i just go ahead and buy a new mobo...

man.. talk about process of elimination here.. check for a bootable thing that checks ram.. if that don't work.. i think its pretty much been slim down to the mobo

What did you use to test your RAM? If you haven't tried Memtest86. give it a try. I am leaning more toward the RAM being your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom