HELP ME!! Just built first comp

Status
Not open for further replies.
so the vga chip got fried? do you think this is due to me not reinstalling windows? is there any way to get a monitor to work with my comp now? i have an extra vid card is a PCI ATI Rage Theater..old i know..but will it work? do i have to install a driver first?

because if i return this mobo and get the same one i want to avoid frying the VGA chip again.

I think what you should do first, is reinstall Windows. And then try another graphic card, if you suspect that the graphics chip is fried.

ya'll haven't answered this one not sure if it was overlooked but....why is my keyboard getting power from my tower? it's only plugged in not turned on (it's hooked up through PS/2)

That's normal. It's usually because the BIOS has it set, to have the keyboard's NumLock light turned on.

No problem. Don't hesitate to ask anymore questions. You're not bothering us. This forum is asked these kind of questions, everyday...

decided i have to go back to fry's and exchange the MB becuase i think it might be fried. is there any indicator that it is fried? i probably wont mess with it again until i get a new power supply. what are the consequences of a weak powersupply.

Whenever you change the motherboard, you have to reinstall the OS. As the OS will only recognize the motherboard it was installed with.

no you don't? You just have to activate it by either connecting to the internet and doing it or calling microsoft tech support, you have say that the previous motherboard had a problem if you call otherwise your request wont' be accepted

What type of monitor do you have? I noticed you said your monitor smelled burnt. If it is a CRT monitor, they are known for having flyback transformer problems. Otherwise no display most likely a mobo issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom