Need parts for OLD AST laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

memac

Solid State Member
I have an old AST Premium Exec 386sx/20 laptop computer, Model 63V. It works great, I love it, but the display hinge has broken where it joins the laptop so I have to leave it open and on a desk all the time. Does anyone know where I can buy/advertise-to-buy a new display/case for this unit? I tried eBay and I 'googled' the computer name but found nothing.

When I google AST and/or go to the AST site I get the following message:
Please Read Before entering this site
The site you are about to visit is maintained by InteliSol, Inc. InteliSol is not associated with AST Computer. AST Computer is no longer in business. InteliSol at one time provided technical support and parts for AST Computers, but now only provides this static web site for informational purposes. There are no technicians at InteliSol trained to assist you with technical issues on AST computers, and we no longer stock any parts.

seems like your computer is too old to be fixed then, you will have to go to your local computer repair guy and see if he has any parts to supplement the one which has broken

If you can't find the parts online, it's highly unlikely your local repair guy will have any. He's just orders most of his parts online just as you or I would. Your best bet is to attempt a repair yourself.

Generally, the plastic hinge you see is on the outside is only a shell. The real one is usually a small metal hinge underneath held in by screws to the screen chassis and the base chassis. Sometimes, the screws just loosen which can cause a loose floppy screen. These can be fixed by finding the proper tension screw or bolt and tightening it. Other times, the screws come out or are sheared off by a fall and the hinge is no longer fixed to one chassis. Worst case scenario is the hinge has failed. If this is the case, you probably won't be able to find an exact replacement, so you might have to get creative. But you might be able to find a part number for the hinge stamped or stickered to it, and you might be able to try googling for that.

Also try googling for the model numbers (not just model name) on the bottom of the laptop. Some laptop manufacturers outsource to other companies or simply rebrand other models. You might be able to find a sister laptop sold by another company with the same exact parts.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom