Hitachi Develops 100GB Blu-ray Disc Compatible With Existing Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
The concept multi-layer discs is practiced by many other media labs, but Hitachi claims that its quad-layer technology would be compatible with existing Blu-ray Disc drives after a firmware update. Prior developments of greater than dual layer discs have required special hardware to read the new media.

Source

wow blu-ray is really ahead of hd-dvd in terms of capacity and technology but hd-dvd is ahead in terms of real world use as they got the contracts and discs produced very early

wow blu-ray is really ahead of hd-dvd in terms of capacity and technology but hd-dvd is ahead in terms of real world use as they got the contracts and discs produced very early
that's weird, at the local D!ck Smith Powerhouse, I've only ever seen Blue-ray movies, and not HD-DVD movies.

yup blockbuster has chosen Blu-Ray, Target has also expanded its Blu-ray shelf space, also considering HD-DVD's theoretical limit is quad layer 60GB, blu seems like the only choice just like it was whenit launched, especially since 200GB prototype discs are still being tested for compatibility. Blu-ray is also leading in sales everywhere, Oz,Uk,Us,Japan, i don't know why someone would choose an inferior technology such as HD-DVD.

Okay, I didn't say HD-dvd was better. I am still quite fine with standard DVD format.

I was just stating that the UK is using HD-DVD not BD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom