Just Finished Building New Computer... And It Won't Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay alot of progress. I plugged in the keyboard/mouse (derrr) and I also had forgotten to plug in the Hard Drive after I disconnected to test if it was working. So I have everything connected EXCEPT the second stick of RAM (still not sure why it won't work with it in... it annoys me alot).

I am now doing a fresh install of Windows and hoping that after that is done I will be able to chuck my second GB of RAM in there and have a smooth running computer!!!

Okay installing windows is all done. The system seems a bit slow and choppy compared to my old one but that could be because I'm transferring stuff off my external HDD not sure.

On the memory front I believe one of the sticks is faulty. I tried moving it to different sockets (by itself) and it wouldn't work. Then I tried the non-faulty one in those same sockets and it did work.

Only problem is its going to be a bit hard to get a refund. I bought it from a computer market that will come around two weeks from now. So I guess I have to wait it out on my crappy 1 GB of DDR 800 until then.

Quick question: If all other things remained constant would a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz give better performance when just using xp for simple things like internet/music playback etc. than a Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz? 'Cause it sure feels that way. Guess I'll have to turn that huge fan on the top of my antec 900 on and overclock this baby :).

Just wanna give a big thanks to everyone who helped me through the process of upgrading this stuff. :D Love you Tech-Forums!

Okay installing windows is all done. The system seems a bit slow and choppy compared to my old one but that could be because I'm transferring stuff off my external HDD not sure.

On the memory front I believe one of the sticks is faulty. I tried moving it to different sockets (by itself) and it wouldn't work. Then I tried the non-faulty one in those same sockets and it did work.

Only problem is its going to be a bit hard to get a refund. I bought it from a computer market that will come around two weeks from now. So I guess I have to wait it out on my crappy 1 GB of DDR 800 until then.

Quick question: If all other things remained constant would a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz give better performance when just using xp for simple things like internet/music playback etc. than a Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz? 'Cause it sure feels that way. Guess I'll have to turn that huge fan on the top of my antec 900 on and overclock this baby :).

Just wanna give a big thanks to everyone who helped me through the process of upgrading this stuff. :D Love you Tech-Forums!

not even close....

not even close....

Sorry what?

EDIT: Oh I get it now. Yeah I think it was because the CPU was @ 1.6 GHz for some reason :S. Still don't know why. I pushed it up to 2.4 GHz though and it is running like a dreaaaaaam. I just gotta get the second GB of RAM to work and I'm set!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom