Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
commandercup said:
I'm debating buying it since I've gotten my hands on some stacks of cash, what does OEM stand for? (too lazy to look it up, I read about it before though)

microcenter has some OEM copies of home premium with some decent rebates

also, i was wondering... I heard before vista came out, that you can't move the installation to a different motherboard... is that true? in simpler words, can you install it on computer A, uninstall it and then revalidate/install it on computer B?

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. And the difference between the OEM and retail versions of Windows, is that the OEM is just the CD and key. While the retail includes the fancy box, manual, and what not...which isn't necessary. Plus OEMs are cheaper.

You can install Windows on different computers. It's just that you can't have more than one computer with the same key, connected to the internet, at the same time.

Vista's 'Black Screen of Death' Is a Hoax

The rumors floating around the internet about a new Windows Vista anti-piracy measure that causes a “black screen of death” have turned out to be a hoax.

Microsoft was quick to debunk this e-mail warning of a Black Screen of Death. A Microsoft representative told Wired News "the reporter received inaccurate information," and that the company has not rolled out any updates to Windows Vista's anti-piracy platform.

this is quite a thread, i like vista but XP is jsut so much quicker

so true...i really like vista but i hate how its slower than xp.
This could be since i have every visual enabled, but i like it that way.

The only reason i have vista is because of DX10. Although i do know people are working on DX10 for xp, if that works then ill just go back to xp.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. And the difference between the OEM and retail versions of Windows, is that the OEM is just the CD and key. While the retail includes the fancy box, manual, and what not...which isn't necessary. Plus OEMs are cheaper.

You can install Windows on different computers. It's just that you can't have more than one computer with the same key, connected to the internet, at the same time.
This is not true. OEM only allows for 1 install. While Retail allows for 3 installs. Which means that if you have to upgrade your mobo on your PC you can still activate it with you Retail key without having to call. But with a OEM serial you will have to call M$ everytime you try to activate it with a different setup than the origianl one that was used for activation. Then from there the original one becomes invalid. So really you are just wasting your time. MSDN and TechNet keys are good for 10 activations.

so true...i really like vista but i hate how its slower than xp.
This could be since i have every visual enabled, but i like it that way.

The only reason i have vista is because of DX10. Although i do know people are working on DX10 for xp, if that works then ill just go back to xp.

DX10 for XP will never work like it will on Vista. Plain and simple answer is this. DX is a closed source application. There is no way all these hackers will be able to reproduce all the things that M$ has done to make it work the way it does on Vista. They may get close but they will never fully get it working properly.

In an email sent to selected testers telling them they have been accepted to begin testing XP SP3, Microsoft has also informed them that this will be the final Service Pack for the now aging OS.
---
Quote -
As is standard practice for operating systems nearing the end of their sales period, Microsoft will be releasing a final Service Pack for Windows XP in the first half of 2008. Microsoft is pleased to announce the availability of Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta Preview, to Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2008 beta testers.
---
Therefore it will be quite fitting to see the final Service Pack for XP – arguably one of the most stable platforms Microsoft has created so far, landing around the same time as Service Pack 1 for Vista it's much maligned latest OS. Lets us know which you would prefer as your OS of choice now by voting in the poll attached to this news item.

News Source: Neowin.net

Mmm. So I am kind of confused. What version of Vista do I want to buy If I am building my first computer? OEM? Retail? I probably won't be upgrading the motherboard and the likes. Do basic and premium offer a big difference of vista software? I want to save some cash :D Ahh, well I have to admit that I am lazy about looking up this kind of info. Thank you

Vista Basic is just that. Basic. It doesnt have any of the flash. No Aero effects. But the software is all the same except for the Ultimate version which gets more.

OEM will be the way to go. Since you dont plan on upgrading you can get away with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom