Here's the build I have in mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
Hey everyone! Here is what I have in mind, inspired mostly from this from (as you'll notice from the parts I've chosen). Though I do have a few questions and would like to get any input that you guys feel is needed.

Here are my needs:
-Video encoding and editing
-Image editing mainly through Photoshop
-Gaming (Bioshock, Crysis, Hellgate: London, Starcraft 2)

Basically my questions are:
1. Is the PSU good? It seemed comparable to the CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX, but was only $5 more than the CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX. Also PC Power & Cooling has been a reputable brand in the past, though I don't see it recommended here as much as the CORSAIR ones (if at all).
2. I plan to have 2 optical drives and 6 hard drives in the near future on this machine. Is there any way to get 8 SATA power connectors out of the 6 that this PSU offers?
3. Would this PSU even be able to run my machine with 6 HDD's and 2 CD Burners?
4. Still need to find a case... I guess that is mostly personal preference, but can you suggest some brands that make quality cases?
5. Would I be able to overclock with the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro? I see it recommended here occasionally, though not as often as the Tuniq Tower. I want a good overclock, but the Tower is $30 more and it's immense size makes me nervous.

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Price: $129.99

Processor:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
Price: $279.99

Video Card:
Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H290PR512DVN-R Radeon HD 2900PRO 512MB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Price: $279.99

Memory:
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Price: $109.99

Power Supply:
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Retail
Price: $129.99

Hard Drive:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Price: $114.99

Optical Drive:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM
Price: $30.99

Aftermarket Heatsink & Fan:
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
Price: $19.99

change the HDD to a seagate 7200.10 and your set, though i would recommend a TRU 120-E for that q6600 if you can fit it
that psu can handle anything you throw at it (for any non-extreme user) for gaming
what case do you have?

1. That PSU is excellent. Although it's not needed for your system, it's nice to have. And it is legendary in quality and service.

2. You can use power splitters.

3. The PC P&C Silencer 610w can easily run all that stuff, plus some...

4. The quality brand cases are Cooler Master, Lian-Li, Silverstone...but pricey. The really quality ones. But they do have high quality cheap cases.

5. If you're overclocking that Q6600, a Tuniq is much better suited....or the TR Ultra-120 Extreme, like Invisible mentioned.

I would prefer a case that could hold six HDD's, so that seems to limit my choices to mostly full towers.

Also, what's up with PSU's on the bottom now? Is that better?

Love the build man, I would almost do exactly the same thing. I would personally stripe two 250 drives instead of doing one 500, but thats my prefereance.

I am a big fan of lian li's designs. They are expensive, but IMO you get what you pay for.

Go with a Western digital 750, or Samsung 500GB drive.

Alright, based on your recommendations, I decided to change the heatsink and fan... though... which is better?
Tuniq Tower? ... or...
TR Ultra-120 Extreme?

Also decided to change out the video card for an 8800GTS 320MB.

Though I still can't decide on a case. =(

The TR Ultra-120 Extreme is better, but it does not come with a fan. Which is the reason, most people go for the Tuniq. Either one you go with, would be a great choice, for the Q6600.

Either of those coolers will do the job well. I personally have had great experiances with Thermalright.

As for the case, full tower for sure.

And if you're spending the money on a 500GB drive, why not buy two 250's and go with RAID 0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom