Computer not reaching BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbo0485

Solid State Member
Okay, well I have built my own computer a LONG time ago. I have upgraded and to see what I currently have you can see my sig(i think, if not I'll edit this post). Anyways, I went to start my computer today and for some reason I can not even reach BIOS. I thought it may be a hard drive failure so I swapped out my new hard drive with my old hard drive, still doesn't reach BIOS. I then attempted to clear my bios through the jumper to see if some setting had mistakenly been changed, nothing.

The only thing I could think of is that since I've had this computer since 2004 and it's a P4(early core, can't remember specific name) 2.8ghz, and I have overclocked it a few times, but it's never overheated or anything. Plus I had a safeguard to shut the cpu off before it overheated to a certain threshold.

So, at this point I'm open to any and all suggestions. Maybe I'll just use this as a good excuse to upgrade my extremely old pc.

Edit:
Sig says overclocked to 3.4, but it's not now. Maybe my processor has finally died? But what would happen when the computer boots if the processor died?

My monitor light never turns green, it stays orange as if it doesn't get a signal. But I don't think it's my video card or the cable b/c as I said, the BIOS doesn't even beep.

Have you tried a different monitor? Perhaps your PSU has died. Take out parts and try to boot until you get some beeping.

Okay, well now an even better problem. When I turn it on everything gets power and the fans spin for about 1/4 of a second, and then poof, everything turns off again. I tried a different wall outlet and a different power cord to eliminate those possibilities. Nothing still.

Okay, well now an even better problem. When I turn it on everything gets power and the fans spin for about 1/4 of a second, and then poof, everything turns off again. I tried a different wall outlet and a different power cord to eliminate those possibilities. Nothing still.

Any other ideas people? I am about to spend some money on a new power supply and hope that that's what the issue is. The PSU I got was a generic one that came with the case and was 600watts. I've had it for 3 years now(same PSU but new mobo/vid card/aud card etc...), and am a pretty big gamer so I have been on it a LOT. I don't want to spend the 80$ on a new PSU if that's not the case. So any more idea's of what I could do before I spend the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom