Recording Computer Build Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
k im looking to build a computer for my recording studio... i know this is not a usual thing for you guys but what do you think of this setup?... i need fast lots of ram and lots of space... i cant seem to find a good case... also i need a cooler for the proc. i need this PC to be as quiet as possible... if there are any better parts plz suggest... I like the BFG PSU because of the Lifetime warranty... sorry about all the links but i didnt think that you guys could see the wishlist or cart

Case:

Newegg.com - NZXT Zero Black/Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Mobo:

Newegg.com - ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Processor:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

HDD:

OS
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Storage
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD5000ABYS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

RAM:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Video Card:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100196L Radeon X1950PRO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

PSU:

BFG 1000-Watt ATX SATA-Ready SLI-Ready EPS RoHS Active PFC Power Supply BFGR1000WPSU at TigerDirect.com

.... where to start... ok... 4gb... unnecessary unless your into CAD, look into a hd2900pro instead... and cut down on the PSU please a Corsair 520 is enough for that system, for the board any p35 is better for the price... especially a P5k Deluxe, and get 1 750GB WD HD which is about the speed of a Raptor X

oh i thought rails where the PCIx 16 plugs... sorry i have no idea about PSUs i just thought to get stable power you had to have a gigantic thing... guess not. k what about the other components am i overkilling anything else?

well i need the ram i am pretty sure about that i know 2GB is not enough i will be running plugins that are very RAM and Processor entensive

i apolozie for 2 posts vernog1992 posted as i was replying to the previous post and so this ended up here...

for a quad core and multiple (7) fans ? also i need a lot of power for use of my audio recording equipment. i should need that much because i cannot afford to let the voltage drop for even a second. if 1Kw is too big (really?) i would prefer to go with 800Watt just to be safe (if power drops i get latency and pops clicks and all kinds of unacceptable ****) also i will be running XP pro and i believe i understand that xp cannot read 4GB of RAM but... it can read like 3.34GB? correct i think im just pulling #s out of my butt i cant remember but i need as much ram as possible

I haven't had a prob with my last system running tons of vst's per channel in rewire mode plus all the reverbs, compressors and eq's running in reason. 2.8 dual core,550watts,2gb of ram.
If you need to use more ram then why don't you go to 64 bit os. I don't know what programs your using but I'm sure the major ones will work fine like Steinberg,Cakewalk,Ableton,Pro tools

my stardard multitrack is sonar 6 PE, and Reason 3.0 (uprgading to 4), i also use reaper and heavy plugins Waves, SSL, guitar simulators... 64bit?... uh hadnt tought of it... arent there problems with drivers and compatibility issues? im assuming you mean 64bit XP i refuse to screw up my computer with vista

2GB is recommended for gaming but depending on your application you may use more. Do some research and see if more than 2GB will be used with your audio programs.

my stardard multitrack is sonar 6 PE, and Reason 3.0 (uprgading to 4), i also use reaper and heavy plugins Waves, SSL, guitar simulators... 64bit?... uh hadnt tought of it... arent there problems with drivers and compatibility issues? im assuming you mean 64bit XP i refuse to screw up my computer with vista

I have reason 4, I just got it. You'll love the arpeggiator and thor. But yea I had no problems using 64 xp with reason. Just go to their site and get the 64 bit patch. I have waves,ssl plugins also and I havent had a problem with it but yeah, if you use alot of plugins and live recording then I would go with 4 gb and 64bit it will make a world of a difference. Also Sonar does have a 64 bit version. I actually have more probs with vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom