cpu, mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
compy said:
alright, i think i'll get the high end xp, i'm not ready for the 64. i'm not going to be able to aford the os when it comes and let alone the processor. anyways it said there wasn't to much of a differnce between the 64 and the xp i think. like i said i'm on a tight budget and it seems the xp is better for gaming and a much better price. should i go with the higher end xp or lower end? yes and well put with the intel amd, now i'm not afraid the amd's are just cheap, but they sure as heck are hot!

The AMD Athlon XP 3000+ "Barton" are also 400 FSB and i've heard the 2800 "Barton" is too but i'm not sure on the second one

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ "Barton" 400MHz 512KB
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-394&depa=1

to hell with amd 64BIT. it doesnt run all that fast!

what you want is (cuming from pc shop owner)

asus p4s800 motherboard
intel p42.6GHz
and a good radeon card

thast will satisfy your needs.

athlon 64BIT runs as slow as a dog once you get all your software loaded, you really want pentium. it runs at the speed it does say. unlike amd they say-- athlon 2800 which runs at onlt 2100 - you see npot good

richard (experienced p4 user)

The reason that the 64 chips don't run as fast as they advertise is because there isn't software out yet for them so as of now they are running at 32 bits. when windows longhorn comes out you will notice a dramatic increase in speed. AMD are more efficiant with the given clock speed. CPU "speed" is not all about how fast you clock speed is. Take macintoshs, they have a clock speed of around 1.6 GHz but can keep up with most of the P4 machines (Macintrashes still suck though). Its not all about the clock speed.

Its not just the clock speed that matters.
Length of the pipeline,cache structure,FSB,technology implemented etc also play a major role.

yeah that's what i've been figuring out, the amd has a shorter pipeline wich makes it better for gaming right?

AMD also build in some advanced commands for MultiMedia Processing. That is mostly why AMD is better at gaming. The shorter pipelines just means you don't need as high of a clock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom