How long will it last...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
My girlfriend needs a new computer that she will only use for email checking, word processing, internet use, and photo editing. This is the system I came up with for her, mainly because it's cheap. How long do you think this computer will last before it's a total piece of crap if only used for those operations with no gaming at all ? I'm hoping it will last at least 3-4 years.

CPU- AMD Athlon XP 2500+
RAM- 512 MB Kingston PC 3200
Mobo- Asus A7V8X-MX SE
Hard Drive- Western Digital 80 GB IDE, WD800JB
Video Card- Asus ATI Radeon 7000 64 MB
Optical Drive- Sony CD Burner 52x32x52
Case- Antec 350W

Thanks in advance.

that system will last probably a lot longer than 3-4 years if its taken care of (i.e. keeping it from soda spills and major earthquakes, oh and her little brother hahaha). All that you have listed is more than enough for the use you described.

For what she is using it for, it will last for that 3-4 years. For gaming, its already a piece, mainly because thats an extremely outdated gfxcard. But heck, she will not be gaming and probably never will, but you can always update the gfx card later.

I think it will last 5-10 years before it just dies. Are you sure the video card will be good enough for photo editing? Would hate to see you turn around and buy a different one later.

That's the only thing I was worried about. I figure that if she's ok with her parent's emachine video card, then that video card should work better. If not that one, could you recommend another video card for 50 bucks or under?

i think you'll be sitting pretty nice with the setup you have. she'll be able to do the things she needs to do on that for at least 3 or 4 years. the graphics card may need to be eventually upgraded, but that's about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom