Getting my HP dv9000 gaming better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of no you won't run into issues with your processor. Thats what the 64 at the end of it states, that is 64-bit ready.

With 64-bit you may find some driver problems with some of your old hardware and whatnot...I have heard good things and bad things about 64-bit so far. Still for gaming It's not a really bad choice in terms of choosing VISTA 64-bit.

i would go with xp32, ive been using it for years and it works great. the only real thing ive seen why youd want 64 is if you had more than 3.5 gigs of ram, but youll give up alot of reliablility with drivers and such.

"Ok.... so with the RAM issue set aside. What are the pros and cons for using XP 64 on a gaming computer... Obviously it would be more optimal for my processor... But would I run into compatibility issues?"

64bit Vista and XP

Pros:
uses processor better
memory is better used
more memory can be used
some anti virus software use 64 bit for better security

Cons:
drivers are typically less stable
some games may automatically shift to 64bit mode and offer less performance by default ( half life 2 is one of those games )
Uses alot more memory for OS than XP

32bit XP

Pros: drivers are way better
games will run better and have higher FPS than on vista 32 or 64
Uses less memory for OS

Cons:
XP is way less stable and more likely to freeze than vista on general tasks ( gaming is opposite however )

32 bit Vista

Pro
Added better support for more than 2 GB compared to 32 xp
otherwise the pros and cons are the same with vista 64 bit

really, i would just go xp 32 to make it short.

Ok.. .back the the original topic..

I installed XP Pro SP2 on my Pavillion dv9000 and installed the HP drivers. But for some reason I'm not getting as good gaming performance as my girlfriends pavillion (which is older).

Should I be using the HP drivers? I couldn't find the drivers for the GeForceâ„¢ Go 7600.

Does anyone have any experience with getting a little more gaming performance out of an HP Pavillion (dv9000 w/ XP)

Thanks

XP 64 has lots of compatibility issuers with devices such as printers, network stuff, etc. No idea about gaming but I'm assuming there's a lot of code that won't run on it. I don't know a single gamer or "typical user" with xp 64 that was happy with it. I'd just stick with 32 bit. Even if you get the 64-bit edition installed, you'll have to run most games in a 32-bit emulation mode which will slightly decrease their performance.

My recommendation is to get Xp 32-bit and have 2gb (2x1gb ram) installed. I know Kingston ram works with HP lappies fine compatibility-wise. Check your sticks to make sure they'll before ordering them. This one should be fine. Used to install it in dv9000 series notebooks all the time at work:
Newegg.com - Kingston 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Notebook Memory - Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom