DVD not being detect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quake_City

Baseband Member
The last few days my D drive has been going MIA on start up. At first all I needed to do was rebooting and it would again appear in my computer, when that stopped working I then went to the control panel and resetting Nero burnrights.

Then that stopped working leading me to putting the installation CD into DVD, even though the computer wasn't reading the device, it worked.

Now nothing is getting the ******* thing working and worse I uninstalled Nero hoping to reinstall the device, but the D drive isn't reading anything so no hope of that. The DVD Writer is a Samsung SH-S182D

I read this could be a problem with the SCSI, any thoughts?

Any help in solving the mystery of the lost DVD would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the actual device? Go to your Device Manager, see if it's being recognized in the device manager, and if it is, right click/choose to Uninstall. Restart, and hopefully windows recognizes it/reinstalls the drivers for the device.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the actual device. Went to Device Manager, to see if the device was showing up, no device? The only thing I can think of is disconnect the hardware so when I reconnect it I can run the wizard to reinstall with the installation CD.

Is it showing in device manager with a yellow ! but not showing in my PC?

I see alot like this, and I'd suggest opening reg edit and editing a registry key. Sadly I can't remember it off the top of my head, and I'm at a School PC ATM so I can't open the registry to look.

I'll post it when I get home.

I wish it was showing in device manager with a yellow ! But the computer isn't detecting the optical dics drive at all!

Ah well then sorry about that, I misread your above post. My fix won't work lol.

This may be redundant, but is it not detecting in the BIOS? or just not windows?

I would try a new IDE cable, and disconnecting any other drives except your main hard drive. Also if it's on the primary IDE, plugging it into the secondary IDE channel.

Of course, check all the obvious things (cabling, jumpers etc.) If you can let me know whether its a PATAPI or a SATAPI drive that would help.

Also, are you using the cable that came with the drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom