Funny noise and computer freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

static244

Solid State Member
For about the last day or so my coumputer has been making a funny, intermitent noise (kind of like a cricket) and the freezing temporarily. Any ideas what it could be? :(

Thanks,
-static244-

open the case and try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Could be a fan going out, or a motor.

I sure hope its a fan but i don't know why it would be if the coumputer freezes.

if the hour glass doesn't appear then is it the hard drive or isnt't it, and how would know that the appearance of the hourglass is the hard drive and not a processor?

Thanks
static244

My guess is that it is coming from the harddrive. If a motor or a fan goes out it either makes a high pitch whine or a droning type sounds. The cricket noises that you are hearing may be the harddrive disk sticking to the head of the drive. It would explain the freezing and the noise. See if the problem persists. There are two options that you have, but should really only be used as a last resort. You can either take the harddrive out and lightly bang it on a sturdy surface three of four times. Notice I said lightly. The other is to put the drive in a ziplock bag and make sure that ALL the air is out. Stick it in the freezer overnight and it should put the two parts of the drive far enough away from each other that they won't stick. Like I said these should be used as a last resort and wait a couple of days to see if the problem continues to persist.

Thats a funny diagnosis. I'm going to stick my hard drive in the freezer just because it makes me giggle. :p

Could the sticking be due to heat? Maybe I should invest in a hard drive cooler instead of a case fan.

Thanks a ton! I hope it works.
-static244-

The harddrive can stick because of heat and gravity. Please be very careful if you are going to stick it in the freezer. Make sure that all air is out of the ziplock. Otherwise water can form and that would be very bad.

Well unfortunately neither soulution worked, :( so now I have a new question...

What are good brands of stable hard drives and what are some ways to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks,
-static244-

LMAO- Im scared. my hd is making noise too!.(worked for 4 years).
I wouls recommend seagate harddrives.i've heard there not as fast as western digital but there more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom