Opinion on Graphics Upgrade Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewser

In Runtime
Hello everyone,

I have just purchased one of Gateway's FX530 series desktop, and am looking into a graphics update in the near future. Currently, I am running a NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 512MB card, and am pleased with its performance in Bioshock and some other graphics intensive programs. However, I don't have all the settings and resolution cranked up to its full potential yet.

I am wondering what you guys think between either upgrading to a higher end GPU (8800 series) or if I should purchase another 512MB 8600GT and throw it in with SLI enabled? Would dual 512MB 8600GT's in SLI outperform say a 640MB 8800GTX? Any input would be greatly appreciated. The specs on my PC are listed below for reference.

-Intel 2.4GHz Quad Core CPU
-2048MB 667MHz Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM
-250GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive w/ 8MB cache
-NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 512MB Dual DVI
-Intel 975X Chipset with DDR2 Support and Intel Core Duo support
-(3) PCI Expansion Slots, (1) PCI-E x4 Expansion Slot, (1) PCI-E x16 Expansion Slot
-700-Watt Power Supply

If your willing to drop the cash for a 8800gts you should get a HD 2900pro instead.

It's better price/performance than the gts since the new ati drivers.

Thanks for the input everyone. So, a general upgrade to a better card seems to be the call.

Would anyone else agree with the call about the HD 2900pro over the 320MB 8800?

I have never owned an ATI card, but haven't really heard anything bad about them either, so it could be an option.

Thanks again for the input, I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom